Official Results of the 2008 Midwest Speed Quest

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Craig Bergh

Official Results of the 2008 Midwest Speed Quest

Post by Craig Bergh »

Hello Fellow Windsurfers,

The 2008 Midwest Speed Quest is over. It is time to announce the Final Results.

This is a Windsurfing Speed Sailing Event located on Lake Okabena in Worthington. The Event runs from April 15th to October 15th, of each year.

We follow the rules and methods of International Speed Sailing. Our GPS units are the most precise hand held units available. Our speeds can be compared to other Speed Sailors around the World. And the Prize Money remains the best in North American Speed Sailing.

The racers competed in this event by wearing the LOCOSYS GT-31 GPS. The speeds were calculated using Doppler positional measurements, and are based on the "Average of the 5 Best Ten Second Runs". The GPS data was entered into a computer, and the data was carefully analyzed. Speeds were calculated to 0.01 knots with great precision. The tools and methods used were consistent with International Speed Sailing, and with GPS Speed Surfing.

And The Final Results are:

1st Place: David Knight, Fridley MN 31.57 knots (36.31 mph)

2nd Place: Guy Miller, Austin Texas 31.46 knots (36.18 mph)

3rd Place Chris Lock, Plainview, MN 31.06 knots (35.72 mph)

4th Place Arden Anderson, Fon du Lac, WI 30.50 knots (35.08 mph)

5th Place Richard White, Portland Oregon 30.05 knots (34.56 mph)

Congratulations to the winners. David will receive $1000 CASH. Guy will receive $500, Chris $250, Arden $125, and Richard $75.

Also for 2008, these Top Five Racers have or will receive a LOCOSYS GPS!!!

6th Place Josh Sampiero, Winter Park, FL 28.50 knots (32.78 mph)

7th Place Jason Swanson, Worthington, MN 28.29 knots (32.53 mph)

8th Place Eric Ries, Edina, MN 27.98 knots (32.18 mph)

9th Place Randy Johnson, Forest Lake MN 27.35 knots (31.45 mph)

10th Place Jeff Adamski, Otsego, MN 26.91 knots (30.95 mph)

Womens Category:

1st Place Allison Shreeve Sydney Australia 26.24 knots (31.18 mph)

2nd Place Karen Marriott, Lakewood CO 22.78 knots (26.20 mph)

It is should be noted both Allison and Karen were speed sailing while on Formula Gear on a Race Course. These are terrific speeds for Formula Gear! The Overall World Record for Formula Gear Speed Sailing on a speed course (flat water) is 31 knots.

Allison will receive $250. Karen will receive $125.

Both Allison and Karen will also receive a LOCOSYS GPS!!!

Longboard Category:

1st Place Alex Monroe, Iowa City, Iowa 21.70 knots (24.96 mph)

2nd Place Kirk Schneider 21.33 knots (24.53 mph)

3rd Place Arnie Cleveland, Prescott, WI 18.20 knots (20.93 mph)

See the 2008 Ranking Page for complete Race Results.

http://www.gps-speedsurfing.com/default ... ing&val=35

Click on the "Go" Button to display the complete list of racers. Or click on the drop down menus to filter the results by Country, Gender, Age Class, Weight Class, Board Class, or Sail Class.

This was a great year with 30 Windsurfers competing.

Each year, we will recognize that sailor with the greatest passion for Speed Sailing. For 2008, this is awarded to Todd Spence of Coon Rapids MN, and to Arnie Cleveland of Prescott Wisconsin. These guys always bring the highest level of windsurfing enthusiasm everywhere they go! I would also like to thank Todd Spence for his support year after year, and all the great Photos!

I would like to thank Jeff Hegwer and Jason Swanson for all their assistance and support during the 2008 Season.

I would also like to recognize Jeff Hegwer and Jeff Adamski as 2008 Midwest Speed Quest Trophy Sponsors. These Custom Trophies are handcrafted from the finest exotic woods and hand blown glass. A great deal of time and energy went into creating these most unique Windsurfing Trophies. A photo of these Trophies will be posted to The Midwest Speed Quest Web Site very soon.

A Special Thanks to the Crew at GPS Speed Surfing. Thank you Martin, Dylan, Onno, Roger, Frank and the rest of the crew. Thank you for creating and expanding your support of Speed Surfing around the world!!!

And I really want to thank the Sailors. It is a pleasure to put on a event for competitors like the one we had in 2008. Our home remains open to all visiting Windsurfers. We invite you all back again in 2009!

The Midwest Speed Quest was designed to be different. This event is free to all participants, and yet pays the highest Prize Money in North America. The purpose is to promote the new Sport of Speed Sailing, and the City of Worthington. Our goal was to bring Sailors of all skill levels together, and introduce them to the new Sport of Speed Sailing. The schedule was open 7 days a week, for a 6 month period. Any visiting sailors was assured of the chance to participate anytime he/she was in the area.

We provide free or discounted motel rooms at the AmericInn, free refreshments on the Beach, and free hot meals at the end of the day.

And we had the best Speed Sailing gear available for visiting sailors to try out.

We also provided free on-site Child Care and Pet Care. We even provided Spousal Care (care of the Windsurfing Widow)!

All the work associated with this event was done on a volunteer basis. Meals and refreshments were served beach side all season long free of charge. A special thanks to my wife Pamela Bergh for the many fine meals meals cooked and served over the last 6 months to the visiting Sailors.

We were delighted with the demo gear provided by the Sponsors. Each year we seek out the finest Speed Sailing Gear available anywhere in the world.

The Midwest Speed Quest is made possible by the support of our many Sponsors. These Sponsors allowed us to award $2500 is Prize Money, and the many drawing for Windsurfing Gear and Gift Certificates all season long.

I encourage you to support these Sponsors. Visit their links on the "Sponsors Page". Call these Guys, and buy your gear from them. Tell the Sponsors you appreciate their support of the Midwest Speed Quest. This will assure we can do this again in 2009.

David Knight won the 2008 Midwest Speed Quest using a combination of the KA Koncept Sail, the Carbon Art Slalom SL 62 Board, and the Vector EX Speed Fin!

Overall, KA Sails took 1st, 3rd, 5th, 6th, and 7th Place this year.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE! SEE YOU IN 2009!!!

Craig Bergh
The Midwest Speed Quest
Worthington, MN 56187

web: http://www.midwestspeedquest.com

email: cbergh@iw.net

Cell: 1-507-360-4801

GPS Coordinates:
Lat 43.62208
Long -95.61218
Last edited by Craig Bergh on Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
JRN

Re: Official Results of the 2008 Midwest Speed Quest

Post by JRN »

Glad to see a local won! Way to go DAVE :!: For years we were always after Dave to upgrade his gear to the latest stuff, but he always kicked our butts regardless. I guess he has now had the last laugh, and he deserves our admiration.
If I had $1000 I'd probably buy KITES. :mrgreen:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Way to go everyone. What a great event, and great performances....FROM THE HEARTLAND!!!!!!!
Tighe
DavidKnight

Post by DavidKnight »

Thanks Guys. Just got back from cleaning up after Hurricane Ike down in Galveston... so I've been out of touch the past few weeks. I was working 90 hour weeks- so didn't get the chance to sail between all the floating debris.

The new gear makes all the difference. I felt so comfortable and balanced on the KA sails... none of that battling feeling that was so prevalent when big gusts hit me on my mylar '89 Topsails. My new sails don't have the low end grunt of my old ones... but the trade off for comfort and stability on the high end make it all worth it. That Carbon Art board was sweet! I hope to get on the shorter speed needle one next year.

Thanks to Craig for hosting this year after year... for those of you who haven't made the dash down to Worthington to compete, you're missing out on a great time. I can't believe Craig doesn't charge us to use the gear, eat/drink on his yard, or launch from his beach- it really feels like you're at an all-inclusive windsurfing resort (don't get any ideas Craig). Plus, the prize money more than paid for my new sails... unbelievable! I'm looking forward to next year... everyone get down there and rip!
Randy

Post by Randy »

Congratulations Dave!! Having been in the windsurfing scene since '81 I've seen a lot of world class talent. It's a shame the sport lost momentum, given the tremendous sacrifice made by so many World Cup racers. In our own back yard, you and Teran Hughes stuck out as individuals who would have been very competitive in the highlight years of the sport. You've both got a throroughbred professional stance, strength and style that's inspiring. It's great to see it validated.

Craig, hats off to you, your family and the Worthington windsurf community. It's rare to find such sacrifice, resolve and dedication in these rapidly changing times.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
bill keitel

Post by bill keitel »

Craig has taken an idea (that few of us were willing to put in the time and effort) ....and turned it into "An Event of Uncommon Merit!"

Hats off to Craig Bergh!
torisspacedog

Post by torisspacedog »

Congradulations Dave your just one of those speed demon types You probably don't remember me I met you at the end of last year snokiting at Belair You had just won some speed contest then also. Keep going fast and stay safe Mark L
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Special thanks definately in order to Craig Bergh for tirelessly promoting the Midwest Speed Quest once again. Also to his wife Pam for all the great hospitality. I think it was a challenging year for everyone involved given the stinging gas prices putting a damper on peoples travel plans combined with fewer of those really big wind days that tempt people to come down, but I for one am already looking forward to another year of the Speed Quest. For anyone thinking of competing in 2009, do it!, its well worth the drive, support Craig and this event, theres really nothing else like it out there, and remember, its free and its a blast!