phantom wind

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

drknap

phantom wind

Post by drknap »

All day long readings were 10+ with gusts in the upper teens in the twin cities. Where was this wind?

Mike W and I tried WBL around 1-2 pm: found nothing and went home.

Around 4 got the call from Avery that things were happening at WBL. Managed to slip away only to find Terry, Jim, Dave Z and Chris B sitting on the shore waiting for wind. Just enought to waist time rigging but nothing came.

What the heck? Wind must have been up high or something. Waisted several hours of domestic credits today.
Kurt
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Nothing worse than chasing wind to come home empty handed. I remember my old rule now-- don't make a run for the lake until there is wind in the trees.

From what eric reports, it sounds like the Mille Lacs warm air/cold water effect is in full force, and expect that will continue for a while this spring. Be ready for more "phantom wind" sessions. We had better buy a quiver of Octanes to be prepared. :wink: ( I expect few to follow the reference.)
SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

Max Sol and Alex we made the trip down to Clear Lake Iowa, you all should have been there it was 15mph steady and the it rocked at 30mph gusting to 35mph from around 1 to 4:30 pm!!! Sol and Max and Alex were ripping it up in High Winds, awesome jobs guys, I think this was there first high wind experience and they all rocked it at Clear lake!!!! The wind was not looking good in the cities so we all went south and boy was it worth it!!!
I was driving out in Blaine and I think I have found Nirvana guys I just need to get information from the land owner. It's a very large body of water man made that has been graded all around the perimiter and straw is around the edge to indicate grass planted, it's open wide open. So if I can get authorization it's going to be an awesome place, if there are no wire fence stuff or anything else under it it could be the place.
Liquid Force Regional Rider.
MAXIMILIANO

Post by MAXIMILIANO »

You're right Scott such a good day in Iowa, 5+ hours
in the water having a blast. At the end of the day, Saul and his Waroo 12
were the only ones left in the water, 30+ mph wind :shock: .....
SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

Thnaks for the invite Max, it was a wonderful day, especially being able to meet the local guys there, what a great bunch of people down there, I hope we run into them soon!
Liquid Force Regional Rider.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Yeah, there was wind in the trees for about an hour and a half (3-4:30). Long enough for me to get my stuff rigged. It was about 12-14 gusting to 17 then it completely crapped out. Good thing I live 5 blocks South of the lake :wink: