Snow sailer design needed

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

stevenP

Snow sailer design needed

Post by stevenP »

I've seen many different designs for a ski based snow sailer with a windsurf rig. I want to build one in the next couple days. Yesterday I broke the rear truck (the truck pivot bolt sheered off) on my Freeskate so I may be off of that for a while. Does anone have some suggestions on snow sailer design? Links to websites with good plans? Suggestions on design from their experience?
Thanks,
sPk
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

sPk,

You can get a new "king pin" for your rig at almost any hardware store. Some skate companies, like Tracker, make cool ones too. Check out http://store.yahoo.com/longskate/trucac.html

You'll prolly need a 2.5 or 2.75 inch length.

Here's some pics of a new one and a busted one ( on my ice sailing machine) http://www.downhaul.com/misc/040102/kingpings.jpg I guess, according to Jerry S, that you break a kingpin once a year if you sail hard on the ice. Suggestion: Replace rear kingpin yearly and bring a spare when sailing on the ice.

If we hook up tomorrow, I'll have on that you can have sPk.

RE: Sailing on the Snow

I have looked into this for some time. I was always hoping there was a way to use a windsurfing type rig and glide over the snow. The bottom line that I have experinced is that you need just as much sail to have fun on the snow as you do on the water.

Take a look at the sail sizes the guys on the "snowfers" are using when there is total snow coverage. You will notice that it's about the same size you need to plane on the water.

The snow sailing crowd can poo poo me as much as they want on the facts above but there is something that I have never seen a 'snow sailing machine do' and that, which we all like to do and practice, is JIBE.

If your goal is to go back and forth across your favorite lake you can probably make a snow sailor out of simple materials.

If your goal is to do the above, start getting air, doing technical transitions, crusing anywhere there is 10mph plus, etc. etc...

G E T A K I T E.
stevenP

I got kites

Post by stevenP »

Eric, thanks for all the info. I have kites that I use on the snow but I was just looking for another option to get my windsurfing jones fullfilled. I picked up a new skateboard truck at Eric's Bike for $19. There must be a way to get the "king pin" out of the old truck but after a few wacks with a hammer it hadn't budged so I opted to replace the whole thing.

So I am still looking for board designs. I am specifically curious about what people have been using to attach the skiis to the board.
sPk
Jason

Here you go.

Post by Jason »

you should check http://www.windski.com/ there are pictures and video. I have put together a set up similar to this one using an old 210cm straight ski, a wake board fin, old universal mounted with a T bolt and my mountain board deck mounted with plastic skateboard risers. The contraption works well on 2-3 inches.
Jim N

snow sailing

Post by Jim N »

I bought my rig from a guy in Mtka. It consists on a welded alum. frame , 2 fixed skis(interchangeable w/ blades) on the back corners. and a single blade on a pivot in the front. It steers via sail pressure over the front ski(or blade) which causes it to pivot... it WILL jibe, but in a huge radius turn...its really stable though, and a good ride for getting beginners interested...I usually ride "D-BEAR" and would be happy to let you demo it. I also acquired another gizmo w/ giant trucks that I'm attempting to modify to sail on snow, but to steer more like a free-skate...On my last attempt it spun out too much to control., so I'm going to add some skegs...I'll keep U posted :D :lol: :P :!: J.N.