Quick Waconia Question

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

matthewp

Quick Waconia Question

Post by matthewp »

I'm thinking about heading out to Waconia tomorrow, given the wind direction and weed situation in Medicine lake and I have a couple of quick questions.

a) How is the weed in waconia these days?

b) Will I have any trouble parking (I'll be there about 1-2pm, using the east beach, and I will not have a trailer)?
Dilettante with mostly big gear...
Looking to buy 110 liter board.
surfalex

Re: Quick Waconia Question

Post by surfalex »

I have been to waconia about 10 times this year, have not had any problems with parking whatsoever. As of ten days ago, i did not use a weed fin, however I did pick up some weed. I think you might need one now, not a whole lot of rain lately plus it is later in the season. The wind forecast is not that strong, you will probably be on bigger gear / sails / fin , I am planning to use my weed fin.
matthewp

Post by matthewp »

Hopefully I should be all set for the wind level. I'm planning on bringing an f-type 158 board and 8.0, 9.0 and 11.0 sails.

I'd love to think I could use a non-weed fin, in my limited number of sessions in the last 2 years, I haven't been off a weed fin (they were all on Medicine). Either way I'll have both kinds of fin with me.

Thanks for the answers.
Chris

Post by Chris »

Hi Mat.

I think you'll like Waconia. Works on all directions except east. Then there's the beach on the south side. But with any kind of west, the Waconia launch is great. Due west and northwest are best. I think today will be southwest -- good too. The weeds aren't bad -- they're not gross weed beds at the surface. They're strands floating on the surface, here and there, (a regular fin might pick up 2 or 3 per reach) -- just enough to drive you mad. So bring a weed fin.

It's a great lake for windsurfing.

On a nice week-end day for boating and fishing (no storms or forecasted storms), you might have trouble parking. (And without a trailor, you can only park on one side of the lot!) You might have to park on the road. Or head to lake Washington. It's 30-40 minutes further west but it's worth the drive. You can read the description on this site under "lakes" and get the directions there too. Keep on eye on this chat site. If a folks say they're heading to Washington, give it a try. I think you'll like it too.
matthewp

Post by matthewp »

Given the lack of wind and the late naps of my kids I didn't manage to justify the drive to Waconia to myself, but I did go to Medicine Lake for 2 hours. After an initial good run on a 11.0, I proceeded to float around the lake searching for a windy spot for an hour and a half before a couple of brief runs towards the end of the session.

So it was mostly a bust, but because of the glassy state of the water when I was able plane, I was able to get up on the fin and blast. I actually recorded a speed (Doppler) of 24 knots! It probably the fastest I've ever gone as a fraction of wind speed.

The next day of real wind, I'll try to take the day off and spend some serious time at Lake Waconia or Washington. Lake Washington looks intresting on the topo map I have, it suggests it is only a couple of feet deep, is this true?

Matthew
MK

Post by MK »

Particularly out of the Sportsmans launch, nearest hwy 12. http://www.lakawa.com/lakes/washton.html
baliweber

Post by baliweber »

Hey Matthew.

I have a similar problem finding the time to get some sailing in with the needs of the family. Let me know when you're going out again, would love to get in some runs and join you either at the Wac or Washington. Give me a holler if you like.

Thomas