What Size Kite to Start With?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

jerlane

What Size Kite to Start With?

Post by jerlane »

Hey all,
After years of contemplation, I am finally thinking about buying my first kite. Winter seems like a good time to give it a go since my windsurfing gear is collecting dust and won't get jealous.

I weigh about 165 (maybe 170 with my "winter coat") and I will probably be riding on Calhoun mostly, in the winter anyhow. I am hoping to get an '08 Waroo. If I were to start with one kite, would you all recommend a 13m or 15m???

Thanks in advance, and any other tips would be greatly appreciated as well.
Nathan B

Re: What Size Kite to Start With?

Post by Nathan B »

if you were to start with one kite , I would down size a bit from what you are thinking(no offense) , start with more of a mid size. nowadays a 13 or 15 is a very big kite specially if you are looking at a flat kite like a Roo.
Maybe looking at a 9 or 10 mtr would be better ..?
For other tips - well whats your background in kiting/any board skills like snowboarding-skiing for winter riding or wakeboarding ? can be tuff to learn to sports/things at once. any kiting lessons? thats always a good place to start .
jerlane

Post by jerlane »

I was wondering if starting with a smaller kite would be a better idea. I am a pretty athletic person. I have been snowboarding and windsurfing for over 20 years and pretty much taught myself both. I haven't tried kiting yet and a lesson would be ideal, but they look pretty expensive here, so I may go with a friend for starters.

If I were to start with a smaller kite, what would I eventually want for a two kite quiver in these parts, given my size? A 9m and a 13m? What about a bar? 45 or 55cm? Have there been big changes in bar design in the last few years, or would I be OK with a 2006 or 2007?
steveb

Post by steveb »

A 13 and 9 would be a good quiver for you, so starting with the 9 would be a good choice.
Try to buy complete packages, that way you know the lines are the right length etc.mismatching bars to save a few pennies can cost you more money in the long run and a lot of money depending on how you value and price your fun time. It's better to have a setup which was designed to work with each other.
Having a friend teach you's fine so long as your friend knows what's important to tell/show you. And they have some teaching skills and the patience to work with you. The money for lessons is chump change compared to hospital bills, if you don't understand what you're doing or trying to do.
Be safe, have fun.Enjoy learning.
Regional Ozone Team rider
baskinT

Post by baskinT »

thanks for these postings, I put myself in jerlane's shoes.

baskin
The best thing about a man is his dog
Reds

Post by Reds »

Smaller kites are fine in the winter so starting with your small kite sounds reasonable. Don't underestimate the safety factor. There is a fine line between kiting in control and injury. Lessons recomended. Padding too.
Patrick
Dudes

Post by Dudes »

I assume you've had a chance to fly a trainer a couple times in good wind? I'm very new to the sport, and like you have been snowboarding for a long time. Right now, my plan is to do the same thing you're doing and sort of teach myself. Lessons are going to be great I think for the slightly more advanced techniques, but I do feel confident that I can get things started successfully. If not, then it's little pain for a day, and lesson the next.

A couple of things that have really helped me so far (as I haven't gotten my 14m slingshot turbo out yet), is the video that came with my trainer, as well as a killer how-to video called "How to Snowkite Volume One". It's very through for both kiting with foils and inflatable.

I hope to get out for the first time very soon on Calhoun. If I crash a burn, I'll be sure to fess up and call for a lesson.
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

Can't stress enough the importants of spending lots of time on the trainer .You don't have time to think many times, so your going to have to react. Muscle memory can be a life saver, especially in this sport. Lessons are a great investment in safety and the perk of being able to fly (in most cases) several differnt size kites. Now you'll have a better idea of what sizes work for you. With the price of kites these days, making the right choice is a pretty big deal.
Todd
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

I started and have just one 12m**2 foil kite - it works from 7 to 15 mph or so. I had a couple of water kiting lessons before that - to the point where I could go out and back. With that, I had no problems. But I never would have just "gone at it" without a lesson or two, and I am the type to never take lessons. You can maim yourself rather easily and the tips will go a very long way.

Don't forget a decent ice screw or two and rescue picks.

/Adam
Pat Hinch

Post by Pat Hinch »

Jerlane - I echo everyone's advice on the lessons. You can't go wrong with supervised experience.
Having said that, I have a 7.3 Ozone foil you can borrow to get started if you want. It worked well for me when I began kiting. It has the safety releases on the bar and is a pretty good starter kite after you've flown the trainer kites.
Let me know if you're interested and we can hook up at Calhoun. Welcome to snowkiting !