Cannon Again

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dave Z

Cannon Again

Post by Dave Z »

Who's going today? Forecast upgraded but cold: Cloudy, with a high near 45. Breezy, with a southeast wind 15 to 25 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
Bill S.

Re: Cannon Again

Post by Bill S. »

It's gusting into the 40's down here right now. Can't get away today. Looking for strong west winds and cloudless skies tomorrow afternoon at Byllesby or Pepin, WI!
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Post where you guys end up tomorrow - I might be able to make my way South. Or shoot me a text - (651) three three eight -4627
Pete

Post by Pete »

Not sure about Bill but I'm getting off work now, sleep for a few hours then headed to Pepin WI.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Hey Dave, Byllesby rocked this afternoon. I sailed 3.7m for 45 min. and then decided to retreat to the truck and a thermos of coffee before getting really chilled. It was howling W 30-40 with magic carpet swells. Pete, how was Pepin?
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Corduroy. So bummed I missed out but life happens, eh? Pete - you got pics? Pepin must have been off the hook. I settled for some 4.7 on WBL while Mike W rode is 10M kite. Way better than a poke in the eye! Guess I'll have to hold out hope for another big Westerly over Thanksgiving weekend!!!!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Pepin was howling with rolling terrain even close to shore. Smallest sail I brought was 5.2...too bad...flattened that and was still super overpowered. Mast broke after about an hour but I had decided to stay close to shore so not much of a penalty swim.
Randy

Post by Randy »

Pete, so glad you were close to shore. That's always an issue when the water's this cold. Sure love the technology put into our cold water sailing gear. That Bare Polar has gifted me so many great days I wouldn't have considered before.
Damn, had no idea it was that windy down south. I had a good slalom day on Forest Lake, but sure would have loved another 3.7m day. Bill, I guess that one was waiting for you. Were you solo?
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

I was solo, which kept me especially present in the high wind, cold air and cold water. A good drysuit is critical, as you say, but so is paying attention to what's going on both outside and inside of you. Without a buddy on the water, I came in before I got too cold and enjoyed the feeling of living to ride again another day.

Pete, glad to hear you're all right and that the swim in wasn't too extreme. Masts are replaceable. . . .