Crow-Hassan Park Reserve

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Adam B

Crow-Hassan Park Reserve

Post by Adam B »

Nice park with some decent terrein. We just made it out there yesterday for the first time I was pretty impressed. Come check it out.

Hanover, MN by the way
Attachments
DSC00491 fixed.jpg
DSC00491 fixed.jpg (443.11 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
DSC00488 fixed.jpg
DSC00488 fixed.jpg (403.57 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
a.jpg
a.jpg (299.43 KiB) Viewed 7323 times
Travii

Re: Crow-Hassan Park Reserve

Post by Travii »

Can you give a bit more info on the terrain and the current snow cover? Looking at the map and the terrain contours, it looks like a very promising area to ride. It also looks like almost any wind direction will work. Nice find! I am definitely considering a drive over there.

Travis
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

From the Google Earth 3d View, it looks great. It looks like you have some 35ft hills but it is impossible to really gauge on the computer as I have found some good looking spots that turned out to lack the steepness I crave. How about wind lips, terraces, and such? What about hazards - fences, t-posts, parking? Why did you stay in such a small area?
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

we didn't get there till later on Sunday. We cross country skied out there, checked it out then went back to the truck to load up the sled with gear, and then skied back out. By the time we got going, the wind was starting to die down where I couldn't ride, but the boy was able to keep it up. He did venture further than he shows on the map, onto the lake and northwest of the lake. With some good wind, you could explore much more area. There was some grass sticking up in areas, so any year with less snow may be questionable.
We skied in from the parking area you can see just off the bottom left of the caption box. We wanted to go in on the service road just above the box at the bend in the road, but parking there looked iffy. We hope that the park department won't have a problem with us being out there! A guy and his teenage kid came out on snowshoes and thought we would be ok, and now they want to take kiting lessons.
Travii

Post by Travii »

Nice work! I have always wanted to kite the fields along 94 near Rogers. Little did I know there is an enormous wildlife preserve just a little to the west. I wouldn't worry about the park rangers. This is why we pay taxes and purchase state park passes. Also, we are much more environmentally friendly than snowmobiles.

It sounds like we might get some more snow in the near future. I am planning a trip out there with a few local kiters. I have been so busy this season that I have made it out twice. Terrible!

Thanks again,
Travis
Adam B

Post by Adam B »

If you look at the winter map http://www.threeriversparks.org/parks/c ... -park.aspx there might be parking on the north side too, maby. The Terrein for a Minnesotan view is pretty swell, it not like a big hill but smaller steeper hills. There's one that I could carve down with my kite at neutral.

The park does have signs that say stay on the trail but I don't think anybody really follows them. Just stay away for the wildlife preserve natural whatever research areas. They should be guarded with signs.
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

paul-b,

"Grass sticking up" has become my favorite kind of snow this year. I snowboard so maybe that allows me to hatchet my way through it more easily than skiers, but I just love the contrast that it provides on the snow. It really helps me see every tiny little ridge as I am screaming by. Now that I have been sticking to grassy areas, I kind of have a hard time seeing the snow conditions just ahead of me on clean patches so that may be a drawback. I have even started to enjoy mowing down the patches of horseweed that I come across.

I started snow kiting the grassy areas because all of the farmers fields get the snow ripped off of them in a good blow. All of that snow gets blown onto the WMA's where the grass catches and holds it. If you want good cushion for big jumps that you may blow, the grass is the only place to be. I have kited with skiers (better at kiting than I) that complain about the grass a little, but they all love the extra feet of snow it provides, along with the good terrain that you cannot find anywhere else.

If you decide to hit heavier grassed areas, treat it -and ride it like powder. And remember, these WMA's have lots of hidden hazards like an old spool of barbed wire just under the snow or a t-post here and there.
Travii

Post by Travii »

FYI:

I checked out both parking areas today and looked over the terrain. It looks very promising and the snow cover is still very rideable. However, the access shown on the map is good for wind in the north to west quadrant. This will allow a person to hike a short distance, set up, launch, and immediately start tacking back and forth towards the northwest. It will take a bit of skill to work your way out into the open areas shown on the map, but it is definitely do-able. I like the challenge that it presents. The grass and weeds are not bad at all. It would also work for almost any southerly or westerly wind with a bit more hiking. Snow shoes or cross country skis and a sled is recommended.

The northeast parking area is another story. Wind directions from the north would work, as well as the west and the south. The real challenge here is to ride across to the west (along the river) to make it out into the open area. Weed covered fields need to be traversed and show up as a dark brown on the satellite view. Also, straight south of the parking area and the swamp lake is a very large open hill area which should work well.

I am going to watch for snow this week and plan accordingly.

Travis
Travii

Post by Travii »

Another option for 100% legal farmer-free kiting terrain.
Travii

Post by Travii »

Anyone interested in this for today, Wednesday Feb 27th?
paul-b

Post by paul-b »

I wish I could, but probably can't get out of work early enough to make the hike out and get enough daylight. Will either do Diamond lake or Pelican by St Michael. Pelican is great with the bays, stump fields, few roads, and natural shorelines.
nowak046

Post by nowak046 »

Has anyone ever tried the Carver Park Reserve by Victoria?
I kited Stieger Lake 2 weekends ago and found the lake to be a bit small, however there are some clear hilly areas further in the park that could do well for riding terrain . It's not huge but it is close.
Travii

Post by Travii »

I made it out there for a few hours. What an experience. The snow is deep, but the pockets of weeds make for a rather unpredictable surface. The hills are pretty good size too. I had quite a bit of fun, but since this was my first time out in TWO SEASONS, I almost didn't pump up the kite when I saw the actual terrain. I am glad I pushed through and started riding. There were a few squirrely situations, but the technique of "riding the bronco" came back quickly. Two hours and I was spent. I decided too shut down while everything (including my body) was still intact. Good times.

Travis