Kiteboard Shop possibly opening in Duluth!!!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

dave12341234

Kiteboard Shop possibly opening in Duluth!!!

Post by dave12341234 »

So last week I was at Park Point, The wind came down quite a bit, so I was sitting around for a while. Got talking to a guy from Ft. Lauderdale,FL. He asked me where I got my gear from, and I said online. He was very surprised and thought that Duluth should have had a shop by now. He owns a surf/kitesurf shop down in FL, and says the oil spill is affecting his business, and he's looking to move up here. He got talking about how he rides with pros on a daily basis, and how he could easily bring them up here to start an event, which would kick start his business. He was very excited about starting this year sometime. he said he found a good little facility to rent out for $8,500/yr. The way he was explaining it to me is that he would have just the local kiters come in on a voluntary basis to help out with customers and stuff, no pay. there would be couches and a giant t.v with a coffee bar. Just a place to hang out. He said that a coffee bar would provide just enough money to keep the place open plus gear sales would supplement that, primarily used gear. What does everyone think of this? Do you think he'll make it? I'm very stoked about the whole idea, and I believe a business like that in the downtown duluth area would attract many people, whether it's just for the coffee, or the gear.
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Bill S.

Re: Kiteboard Shop possibly opening in Duluth!!!

Post by Bill S. »

Matt and Keegan Meyers, of Broneah Kiteboarding, began with a similar business model in Traverse City, Michigan. Check it out, it works.

Bill
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

That model has been tossed around for awhile. I think it is the model that could work. Kite only stores in Minnesota have a tough road. Finding something that generates some income other than kites, and provides a hang out for kiters on non wind days....could work.

We're a relatively small market here in Minnesota. I wouldn't want to rest on kite sales alone. Sounds like he's got some other ideas. I give him luck.
Tighe
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

Yah, he plans on selling anything from kites to ice climbing gear.
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
scottman

Post by scottman »

Isn't tha the same as Midwest downtown, kites to climbing gear, anyway good luck to him.