Crossing Ideas

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Denis

Re: Crossing Ideas

Post by Denis »

With light winds, I'm definitely down for helping to run some clinics. Nate, let me know if you need me to drop by on the unhooked/freestyle session.
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Nathan B

Post by Nathan B »

of course Denis! was planning/counting on it/you.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Great it sounds like there's some great options. The weather will determine what we can actually make happen. Those of you interested in making some of this happen, let's all plan to meet with Mike a few minutes before the Riders Meeting and coordinate them. I'm sure he'lll give us some mic time to announce what we plan to do.

If your interested in attending one of these clinics/activities be sure to attend the Morning Riders meeting. Once we've taken a read on the day's weather and talked with Mike about his plans for the race, we should be able to give you a good idea when and where some of these other activities may happen.
Tighe
dave12341234

Post by dave12341234 »

i wont be there til around 1 or 2 on friday, someone should say something about the freestyle comp. it would be tons of fun!
"You can't buy happiness, but buying a kite is very close"
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I don't know if there is a meeting on Friday. Just the one on Saturday and Sunday I think. Mike said the meeting Saturday was mandatory.
Tighe
Elkman

Post by Elkman »

So it sounds like there are other things to do at the Crossing than just the race across the lake, right? I've been debating whether I would go up there this weekend, because I don't think I really have the skills -- or the stamina -- to cross the lake yet.

If I come up there just to ride, or to demo kites, or to do one of the clinics, would I need to pay the race entry fee or whatever, and come to the riders' meeting? I'm not trying to be a cheapskate, but I just want to know what's expected.
Todd Murray
Bloomington, MN
JRN

Post by JRN »

IT IS UP TO YOU. However, keep in mind that it is not just an entry fee for the race. It helps Fleet 8 defray the costs of the entire event. Things like reserving the venue, liability insurance (a major expense), meals, bibs, shirts, etc. Of course, most important
of all is to assure the future viability of the Crossing. If few show-up, and even fewer pay, and losses are incurred, we cannot expect Michael to continue his dedication to doing it yet again. I would suggest, if one can afford it , that everyone contribute in any way possible. KEEP THE RACE IN PLACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Michael F

Post by Michael F »

Thank’s, Jim. Well defined. It becomes a slippery slope when trying to keep the event open to the community while maintaining enough structure to have signed waivers which is required by our insurance policy.

Now that it has been addressed, we would appreciate that non-registered kiters looking to use the terrain park, at least complete a waiver form. We will try to make them readily available all weekend. Of course, if necessary, we will accept donations.

We will have a terrain park safety team providing knowledge through mini-clinics and establishing any guidelines they feel are necessary. Whether registered or not, helmets are required.
Director of Fleet 8
fleet-8@juno.com
skitch

Post by skitch »

I haven't gotten a kite in the air yet, but I'm coming to the crossing!
Hoping the wind is good for a newbie! What I hear is the kiting community is quite friendly and helpful, so I think I'll get my money's worth regardless of how I do in the race/crossing.

Anyone interested in carpooling? I'm coming from SW suburbs of twin cities.

Greg

gregorylink@gmail.com
952 914-0791
MK

Post by MK »

Jim, well stated...are you a politician? I love the phrasing and it is directly on point. I'm going to run with your campaign slogan KEEP THE RACE IN PLACE!

Of course I'll give you credit:)
steveb

Post by steveb »

Greg, make sure you run around introducing yourself to every one. Don't be shy.
I hope you have a fun time.
Regional Ozone Team rider