Open water on North Long Lake

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Kirk D.

Open water on North Long Lake

Post by Kirk D. »

:shock:
Be careful out there! From the Brainerd newspaper: "as many as a dozen people have gone into the hole via snowmobile or all-terrain vehicle and one victim died."

http://www.brainerddispatch.com/stories ... 20007.html
shinglepro

Post by shinglepro »

Hey Kirk,

I've been kite skiing out on North Long a bunch this year. I've seen the hole. It is strange. I didn't realize it was some unexplainable mystery thing until you dropped this post and I read the article on the link above. This is wicked dude. That hole is freaky. North Long is a pretty good lake to ride on around here tho because of the wind funnels thru the two points and you can really rip. Now I'm kinda freaked about that hole, but I'm still gonna ride out there. Just streer clear of the BLACK HOLE. The Black Hole will just add to the rush of Kiting. They had a chopper out there today with like a drop bucket. They were dipping into the hole. Trying to figure out why the hell it is there I would assume.

Anyway. Does anybody Kite Ski or Board around the Brainerd area??? I have been riding almost daily for the last two weeks. If so please reply to this message so we can hook up and rip.

Jason
Kirk D.

Post by Kirk D. »

Jason,

I heard reports of 60 degree water temperature near the surface of the hole. Something really wierd must be going on there.

I grew up in Brainerd and still go up there fairly often. Next time I'm heading up that way I'll send you a message and we can meet up for some kiting. Do you windsurf in the summer?

My dad said there was a foot of ice on Pelican where he was ice fishing, but that conditions were deteriorating with the warm weather and lots of guys are moving their fishhouses in from the main lake. White Sand lake also had some areas of open water.

Kirk
shinglepro

Post by shinglepro »

My E-mail is
shinglepro@hotmail.com

I check it daily. Drop me a line if you are coming to Brainerd and want to do some kiting. The conditions are great around here. All lakes are 100% snow covered and other than the Black Hole on North Long we are pretty safe too. I've been on Mille Lacs, across Pelican, across Gull, across N. Long (steering clear of black hole), across Round, across Rice, and across Serpant lake in crosby. Pelican was cool, Gull was a screemer with winds in the mach catergory!! N. Long is always good for cruisin upwind and back down and side to side on any East or West Winds. Goto landing behind BIR and your in the middle of the lake able to catch a ride in almost any direction. Good for when your alone. I'm usually alone. No kiters arouind here yet that I know of.

Let me know guys. We gotta rip!!

shinglepro@hotmail.com

Jason
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Seriously the lakes are 100% snow covered? What's the depth? Any of them have more snow than others?

Might be worth a trip. I'm getting pretty antsy waiting for snow down here.
Tighe
bmr

Re: Tighe

Post by bmr »

Hey Tighe,

A few weeks ago I had a friend of the family report 3-5 inches on a lake near Grand Marais (s?), however it's about a 5hr drive from the TC's area. (I'm going to call them to verify the conditions up there.)

I have been thinking about making a Fri-Sunday weekend session over there...I'm going CrAzY not being able to kite!!! AHHHHHHH!!!

Aloha,

Brad
Have kite, will travel.
shinglepro

Post by shinglepro »

Yes its for real!!

All lakes are white in Brainerd area guys!! Get up here on the next wind day.

I went across Gull Dec 30th. The snow is actually drifting in spots and it was 1 to three inches all the way across. Guys its been way colder here than down there. Get up here and lets ride!!

Jason
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Hey Jason, I'll come up there tomorrow (Thurs). Where do you want to meet? I was thinking about heading up around 7:30 arriving around 9am.

Let's rock. I think there will be more comming up this weekend if the snow is like you say (i don't doubt it, it's just so terrible down here that we can't imagine 100 percent coverage...bizzare!)

Shoot me an email or post here:

lakawa at downhaul.com
shinglepro wrote:Yes its for real!!

All lakes are white in Brainerd area guys!! Get up here on the next wind day.

I went across Gull Dec 30th. The snow is actually drifting in spots and it was 1 to three inches all the way across. Guys its been way colder here than down there. Get up here and lets ride!!

Jason
shinglepro

Post by shinglepro »

Eric,

I sent you an e-mail.

I could definately join you tommorow. Its just that they are saying the wind is going to be week. 5 mph tops. Dude Its hard to keep my kite in the air on that wind. You probably have some cool kites that rip in light wind tho??

Let me know

Jason