Worthington Economic Stimulus Package...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Craig Bergh

Worthington Economic Stimulus Package...

Post by Craig Bergh »

Hello LAKAWA Members,

This is an update for May 31 for the Midwest Speed Quest.

An "Economic Stimulus Paackage" was recently announced by the MSQ. Leading Economists report that programs that put cash into the hands of consumers will speed up the economic recovery.

In response, the Midwest Speed Quest has announced a 3 Phase Economic Stimulus Package.

PHASE ONE: $200 CASH for the first windsurfer who records a "Best Ten Second Interval" of 30 knots. If two or more windsurfers recorded this speed on a single day, these funds were to be shared. Today three racers showed up. It was decided that any racer who broke 30 knots on May 31 would be awarded $200.

David Knight of Fridley MN recorded a 31.74 knot run. He was sailing a Carbon Art SL 62 Slalom Board, a KA Koncept 5.8 Sail, and a Vector Rockit 34 cm fin.

Chris Lock of Plainview MN recorded a 30.14 knot run. He was sailing a Starboard Carve 111 Board, a KA Koncept 6.6 Sail, and a Vector Canfire 38 cm fin.

Below are photos of Dave and Chris accepting their Prize Money. This is not the money you could be saving on car insurance. This is the money you could be winning at the Midwest Speed Quest!

Also pictured is Ed Melechson of Omaha Nebraska. He recorded a 29.331 knot run. Although he did not win $200; he did record a number of personal best speeds including a 30.114 knot Two Second Run. Ed will be back later this year for another session. Ed was sailing a HiFly Free Ride Board and a KA Koncept 5.8 Sail.

Stay Tuned for PHASE TWO of the Economic Stimulus Package.

Thank you LAKAWA for your support of the MIdwest Speed Quest.

Craig Bergh
The Midwest Speed Quest
133 Lake Avenue
Worthington, MN 56187

web: http://www.midwestspeedquest.com

email: cbergh@iw.net

cell: 1-507-360-4801
Attachments
David Knight 31.74 knots
David Knight 31.74 knots
David Knight.jpg (238.83 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Chris Lock 30.14 knots
Chris Lock 30.14 knots
Chris Lock.jpg (189.07 KiB) Viewed 2724 times
Ed Melechson 29.331 knots
Ed Melechson 29.331 knots
Ed Melechson.jpg (177.43 KiB) Viewed 2720 times
DavidKnight

Re: Worthington Economic Stimulus Package...

Post by DavidKnight »

Hey Craig,

Just got done unloading all my gear. Thanks for stimulating me to get down there and post some speed. That 36cm Rockit Vector fin was very comfortable at speed- never got the "going over the handle bars" feeling or the "I thought I had a fin- where did it go" dreaded spin out at high speed. Looking forward to trying out the Vector Canefire and Select fins. Wish I hadn't spent myself so early- it really picked up in the late afternoon. Hope to push the envelope and go for the 35 knot barrier... it's gonna have to be a steady 30 for me to do that. Too bad about Ed just missing out on the 30 knots... I kept looking downwind at him blazing back and forth- he sure seemed to be sailing fast! Somehow I still haven't met Chris- our water/beach time just didn't overlap. Looking forward to next time... c'mon you guys... get down there and let it rip!
tom_latcham

Post by tom_latcham »

Any chance for kiters to get in on this. Do we have our own contest or can we compeate with the windsurfers.
TL
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

I'm kicking myself for not heading down! It was a busy weekend for me and I spent a lot of "points" heading down on the Big Wednesday. I did manage to get out to Cannon Lake late in the afternoon for some runs. I was on my 7.2 RS4 and energy, but it was spotty so I was spending some time submarining. Still got some ok runs in, but I haven't downloaded my tracks yet.

You guys posted some fast runs for everyone to start gunning for!

Adam
Adam Anderson
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

I should have stuck around a little longer, but after slogging around for four hours on a 6.6 trolling for for the occasional blast I was totally fed up. Frustrating. As I finished derigging it started coming up, but by then I was all out of patience for one day.
Fortunately, thanks to Craigs support and generosity, the day was by no means a write off, and its part of what keeps me coming back, so hopefully there will be many more days yet this year for improvement.