More Big Wednesday photos (and stories) please

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Randy

More Big Wednesday photos (and stories) please

Post by Randy »

Pretty amazing when downtown Minneapolis feels like the Gorge. Hats off to Sean Smuda and Dave Knight for some amazing shots. Hoping others captured some of the outrageous events of the day. We live through one another's story and images and my new little grand daughter's going to want all the details of the windiest day of record (took her first breath at 3:09pm, during a 50mph gust). Please, if you've got a story to tell, share. If you've got some shots of the day, please post. They'll be pulled for her baby book record.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
DavidKnight

Re: More Big Wednesday photos (and stories) please

Post by DavidKnight »

Congrats Randy on becoming a grandpa again! You've gotta be one of the coolest grand-dads around. And congrats to Davin and Jenny... I ran into Davin and Jenny at the swap. Just for the record, my shots were taken between 4:05 and 4:32 pm on 5/20. I'll upload more when I have time.
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Randy, that your grand daughter was born into a family with a history of wind addiction during a raging gale is profoundly karmic. Would anyone be suprised if she grows up to have the wind in her blood? Congrats!!

I ventured down to Worthington, I figured at least if I was going to get my ass handed to me by the wind gods I'd at least try to win some gas money while I was at it. As I drove down interstate 90 it looked like a scene from the dustbowl days, a brown cloud of vaporized dirt hundreds of feet high streaming a across the landscape. I had to laugh at the ridiculousness of it all when a blizzard of dried corn husks would pelt my car mercilessly everytime I passed a freshly plowed field. I half expected to see some small livestock or perhaps the stray windmill blade come tumbling across the road anytime now, and the unatural angle at which the semi truck trailers were following their cabs did nothing to relieve my sense that getting struck by a large cartwheeling object of some sort was a distinct possibility. I began to wonder how many tons of Great Plains topsoil were ending up in Woodys back yard that day. Hey man, we want our dirt back!!!

Needless to say, by the time I rolled into Worthington the gusts were looking apocalyptic and Adam Anderson was rigging up and contemplating going out on a 5.8. Allright man, well how about I just watch and see how you do first, I was thinking to myself. I knew there was no chance of laying down any smoking speeds in the current situation and Adam confirmed this when he came in a few minutes later just shaking his head. "The gusts are so violent, you cant even see them coming" he says. So we just stared at the water helplessly and knew we would have to playing the waiting game. At one point it looked like it maybe it was coming down a little so I went out, only to get thrashed by a few 45mph gusts, a kind fate compared to what might have happened earlier when it was over topping out at over 50. Around 5pm it started to fizzle a little, as forecasted, so we jumped at the chance to try and get a few runs in. The wind was dropping fast but we were treated to 30-45 mins. of at least sailable conditions, it was still crazy gusty though and it was hard to find a dialed in 10 second puff to put the hammer down in, so no world records for today. All in all, an extremely challenging day, chalk it up as a workout session, training for when the wind is a little more sane. After today anything will seem mild.
JRN

Post by JRN »

RANDY, YOUR GRANDAUGHTER'S ARRIVAL WAS ANNOUNCED WITH WORLD CLASS GUSTS! CONGRATS TO ALL JOHNSONS.
Aside from the wind, it was like a windsurf class reunion at Ramsey. Most of the faces were ones around since the early days, who got started in windsports thanks to you and your family. It is always a joy to be out riding especially when one of your clan is included. I'm sure the latest addition will be no exception.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

What a wonderful story to tell her years from now...."on the day of your birth the surface of the earth roared...."

Congratulations to the family. I come from a family of boys and having a daughter has been such a joy. Such a beautiful strength and such a fragility at the same time. She will teach you about women, and yourself.

I have no story from the day. I chose to do something else and not ride and was ok with it. It has been such a great spring so far. Love hearing the stories though.
Tighe
MK

Post by MK »

I took a half day and went to Waconia. The widsurfers were all smiling but nooooo kiters, understandably. I left to hit a conference, Minnesota Interactive Marketing Association (MIMA). It ended at 7 pm so glanced at the forecast for wind and sun down time and raced back to Waconia from downtown Mnpls.

I was the last one to hit the water and Chris was in just before me on his 9M. I took a chance the wind was coming down and put up my 14M T2. Didn't catch one guys name who said he was just out in his shorts and 1 mil shirt so I did the same. It was AWESOME!!

The 14 was pretty lit most of the time through the gusts but very manageable with my 215lbs of twisted steel and sex appeal.

I got about 40 min of riding and lots of boosts. I even did a little toe side riding. When the sun faded out I self landed. I should have called for help but decided to do it on my own. Didn't want to bother Chris, Mike, and another dude with a silver mustang.

I was reeling up my lines and a gust came along and yanked my kite away into the trees :oops: No damage but was quickly reminded why it happened. I only took about an arm length in off the leading edge before whinding (sp?) up my lines. Fortunately, I did disconnect from the Kite so simply let it. Just a reminder for myself and others: for self-landing take a full kite length off the leading edge before reeling in your lines.

Hope to ride with you soon Randy, and everyone else, love the weather :D

Mike
Randy

Thanks

Post by Randy »

Baby grand daughter, Volly Greer Johnson, will be one week old tomorrow. Thanks to all for your great stories and comments. Still looking for more photos of our epic day last Wednesday.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
MMark666

Post by MMark666 »

Congratulations!

could you please make sure that you son / daughter will have more kids? I am sure that not only I would love a few more days like Wednesday...

:lol:

Mark
\m/
DavidKnight

Post by DavidKnight »

I uploaded a few more pics from Cannon into the gallery.

http://www.lakawa.com/phpBB/lakawaphoto/?show=250
Pete

Post by Pete »

I just added a few Randy.