SS Rev First Ride and Pics

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

johnz

SS Rev First Ride and Pics

Post by johnz »

Took out the 11 m2 Rev yesterday (Thursday) with a big board in light winds, thought I'd share my impressions. Please keep in mind I'm a dyed-in-the-wool C-kite guy, so I don't know very much about the nuances and differences of the bow/hybrid/SLE thing.

Here are my first impressions upon setup:
============================
* The leading edge is small, and the struts are tiny
* 5 struts, no battens
* No splitstrut, presumably for reduced weight
* The inflate valve has a little plastic 'keeper' that holds the stopper very securely in place after inflating
* The bar has been updated from last year
* The lines are thicker - 1000 lbs?
* Backpack - style bag

And after the first session:
=================
* Very quick and nimble, but not squirrely
* Decent bar pressure - good feedback but is easy to drive
* Relaunch was very easy - no bridle lines getting caught on edges, etc.
* Depower was great - letting go of the bar made the kite sit down in a very well behaved manner.

As I mentioned, it was pretty light (thanks for the ride back, Stroh!), but the kite seemed so fast I could generate a suprising amount of power. After this session, I took out my 20.5 machine and, while I had a little more power, I still was struggling to stay upwind. The wind had died off a bit more.

There is a 9 and an 11 out there for demoing - Just contact myself, Tighe, Chris, Denis, or Peter at Midwest Mountaineering to set up a time.

Here are some quick pictures:

---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
John Z
Midwest Mountaineering/Slingshot Regional Team Rider
chanrider

Post by chanrider »

REVs in the house, sweet! The leash set up thru the bar looks like money, very nice. Thanks for the pics!
Mark F
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

Nice.. I can't wait to get my hands on one. When will they be available for purchase? Do you know what sizes they will be producing?
TomG

Post by TomG »

Is that your kite John or is that Tighe's ?

Tighe do you have some of those?
The real pro isnt the one who doesn't make a mistake. The real pro is the one that does the best job hiding it!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

As John mentioned there is an 11m and a 9m floating around for demos. I now have the 11m and John has the 9m.

Hopefully tomorrow will be a good test day for them.
Tighe
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

The winds were a bit light when I arrived at da bear today. I pumped up the 14 TD II, though Avery egged me to pump up the new Rev 11m...thanks Av.

What a sweet kite. It has surprisingly good low end. As John mentioned it flys very fast and turns really quick tight arcs (compared to the spins that the Links do). The power band is really really smooth. Light but still present bar pressure. And it jumps like no other. Chris showed up and I gave it to him and wouldn't you figure, the wind came up considerably. He got the session of the day on it.

Couldn't find a fault with it. Can't wait to try it powered up.
Tighe
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Happened across this nice video too. Wow. :shock:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OiKY8S9HGFs