Suspension Training

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dean Rizer

Suspension Training

Post by Dean Rizer »

If you want to really shape up your core check this out. There are 3-4 systems out there and you can build your own. Lots of Yoga & Pilates type moves only suspended. The system I'm using is from fitnessanywhere.com . I've been using this about 3 months and it's really helped strengthen my abs, lower back, and rotator. I'm hoping to give em a soft water test soon. Get ready!
steveb

Post by steveb »

Damn but you're a stud, I've been dangling for a while too now, it really helps. Once you get used to the blood rush.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

From one old dangler to another. It sounds like there are a lot of walking wounded out there. I thought this might be helpful. My shoulders improved surprisingly fast. It's always something isn't it?
steveb

Post by steveb »

Dean...are you going to Padre this spring?.
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Steve, I will be there from the 3rd to the 12th of April. I couldn't work out going later.
steveb

Post by steveb »

We'll be there the 10 th we'll see ya there
peterrib

Suspesion Training

Post by peterrib »

Dean,
What sort of shoulder problem are you recovering from. I'm looking for all the info I can gather on Physical Therapy for my shoulder before I go the surgery route.
Peter
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Peter I went the PT route. That was the recomended treatment. If I pushed it too early I would easily reinjure it. After 2-3 setbacks I finally did what I was told. I'm away thru mid week, I'll check in then. Take care
Paul F

Re: Suspension Training

Post by Paul F »

Dean Rizer wrote:If you want to really shape up your core check this out. There are 3-4 systems out there and you can build your own. Lots of Yoga & Pilates type moves only suspended. The system I'm using is from fitnessanywhere.com . I've been using this about 3 months and it's really helped strengthen my abs, lower back, and rotator. I'm hoping to give em a soft water test soon. Get ready!
I showed a relative of mine your post last spring. I saw him today for the first time since then. He bought a suspension trainer from fitness anywhere and liked it a lot. He bought 10 more and now teaches a class at a small gym run by personal trainers. He said one serious tri-athlete told him it was his best workout ever. Thanks for the info.
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

Paul, thanks for the post it's nice to know that the system has helped someone. The TRX folks keep comming out with new routines. With that system you can challenge yourself at any level. There is a certification seminar here in Minneapolis on Dec 14, they are rolling out nationally. Success breeds success!
djmadmike

Post by djmadmike »

Glad you are feeling better Dean! Nice work!

I have a pair of gymnastics rings that work quite well. I am a big fan of Kettlebells, sandbags and basic full body lifts (deadlifts, etc). They transfer quite well to kiteboarding when done correctly.

Mobility training is also great for kiteboarding since you are improving the athletic ability of your body. Your brain is constantly running varies "maps" with the 3 main ones created from
1) joint information (where your limbs are in space)
2) visual (what you can see)
3) vestibular (inner ear balance from the 3 semi circular cannals).

If any one of those is goofed up, you are starting off at a deficit. Specific mobility training can dramatically improve the accuracy of these maps.

A comparison is a BMW vs a Yugo. The BMW has a much bigger engine (think more muscle, more force than can be created) and it handles much much better (better body "map" so it does what you tell it to do).

Peter, drop me a line before you go under the knife MichaelTnelson AT yahoo DOT com I will make you a deal---give me 1.5 hours and if there is no difference in shoulder function by the end of 1.5 hours, the entire session is completely free. My success rate with shoulder issues is about 70-80% pretty dramatic improvement in range of motion and decreased pain in one session.

Rock on
Mike N
Mike T. Nelson MS
PhD(c) Exercise Physiology U of MN
http://www.MikeTNelson.com
Athletic Performance and Physique Transformation
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

My trainer friend that I showed this thread has taken suspension training to a new level(so to speak)
trx_mthood.jpg
trx_mthood.jpg (96.42 KiB) Viewed 10113 times
http://www.bootcampresults.com/
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

SIR RICHARD BRANSON TO CELEBRATE HIS 60TH BIRTHDAY BY KITESURFING THE ENGLISH CHANNEL

http://www.thekiteboarder.com/wordpress ... h-channel/

Lee_Uptown

Post by Lee_Uptown »

TRX is awesome u guys. I take it with me when I travel because you can hook it up to a door/tree whatever. It's a crazy good workout and I use it at home quite a bit. Just watch out for counterfeit products because the straps are not secure and you can seriously get hurt.
JRN

Post by JRN »

I was disappointed. I was sure that Branson's trainer would be a Naked Supermodel. I was picturing a complex apparatus, not some simple ropes and handles. Similar to kiters who tie a kitebar in a tree to practice moves, or a 2-handle waterski rope. INTERESTING!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Dean Rizer

Post by Dean Rizer »

TRX does a great job marketing new workout programs. Last year they incorporated an intense jump rope program...very good. If you want to try something new check out Aerialates.com. I did this at Studio U in Uptown last winter and spring. It's pilates on a trapeze. Thats a core workout! It's fun. Helps you spot your landings even if you go in head first like me.
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

I suspended all my training years ago(just don't do it/mock nike). Now I do all my training hanging under my kite! Come hang with me!
Jimster Fly-by night team rider
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
JRN

Post by JRN »

HOW IS THE KITING? Any reason to bring larger gear? Do you think 13m down to 7m & a smaller board would cover the wind range? Is the "SPIT" a mob scene? I agree with your fitness philosophy.
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

JRN -The winds have been really good - most often in the 20s and 30s every day. We arrived June 22nd and I've only have two 14 meter days and 2 of no wind. (It was a late start to the season). I was riding on my 11 a lot for the first two weeks. Most of my rides since then have been on my 9 and I've ridden my 7 several days too. Never need anything but my aggressive riding board with the proper size kite. If you need a lighter wind board, I have several you can use. The sand bar riding is a little crowded, but okay. Lyle is a popular kiting site with huge sand bar. Today we're checking out Stevenson on the WA side where Slingshot is located. The forecast for today is mid 20s but stronger winds coming back on Thursday.
When are you coming out?
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Paul F

Post by Paul F »

Casey, the trainer friend that I showed this thread, was on MTV with his TRX.Thanks again, Dean.
My friend Casey on MTV "I used to be fat"
My friend Casey on MTV "I used to be fat"
caseymtv.jpg (149.92 KiB) Viewed 9545 times