Peak oil is starting to rear it's ugly head.

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Hank

Peak oil is starting to rear it's ugly head.

Post by Hank »

$4 gal by spring. :o
Woody

Post by Woody »

4 bucks eh Hank?

Well, that will be getting closer to our current prices in Canada of $4.80 per gallon!

Just be happy...

:P
Wheeler

Post by Wheeler »

Funny thing though... at the end of an epic session, a seasons worth of gas (whether 3 or 4 / gallon) seems like peanuts! Or to me it does at least!
tyson

Post by tyson »

i hope it keeps going up! more incentive to switch to alternatives! WOOHOO WIND POWER!
tyson

Post by tyson »

p.s. hank, you used the wrong "its". you can't use an apostrophe if it's possessive.

haha. i'm hilarious, no?
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

Tysonm, how much fuel will you be using on your trip to Padre??
Hank

Post by Hank »

bout 2010 things will get real interesting as the world reaches even steeper decline rates. Get ready for a lower standard of living.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

and this has what to do with the pursuit of wind sports?
Tighe
Hank

Post by Hank »

Tighe wrote:and this has what to do with the pursuit of wind sports?
I quit and got a bicycle.

Think about it. $20 in fuel, half a day wasted and the wind dies. :lol:
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

You are still wasting quite a bit of fossil fuels sitting on your computer trolling on the forums. :roll:
johnz

Post by johnz »

Tighe... why not give ol' Hank the boot? - He's way off topic.

I'll miss him and his hand-wringing chicken-little soliloquies...:cry:

Oh well, I guess I can browse the archives....

- z
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

I second that!
Hank

Post by Hank »

johnz wrote:Tighe... why not give ol' Hank the boot? - He's way off topic.

I'll miss him and his hand-wringing chicken-little soliloquies...:cry:

Oh well, I guess I can browse the archives....

- z
yeah, boot me, that's what others do. Just passing the word. You don't want to hear the truth? Just ask Dave McNight, he knows all about what's going down. :lol:
Oil $109 barrel gas $3.12 today.

YOUR FIRED! :D
drknap

Post by drknap »

Hank
you need to reconsider the approach to your plight as so far your comments on this forum are making people want to go out and start their cars and let them run.. ( BTW my personal observation and not that of Scuba Center)
Kurt
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

There seems to be some selectivity here in talk about whose posts are off topic and whose should get censored. I seem to remember some posts in the past about the superiority of Mac computers and other stuff that is far more remote from windsports, yet nobody was making such threats then. Plus, I think Hank's post is not that remote from the topic. He might try to make it more diplomatically though.

Chasing the wind requires using a resource that is getting more expensive and more scarce. At what point will the costs become too high? Never? Is it irresponsible to burn a tank of gas for a session in Duluth or Mille Lacs when there is one to be had much closer? These are questions that might be unpleasant to consider, but they are not off topic.
Hank

Post by Hank »

Mike W wrote:There seems to be some selectivity here in talk about whose posts are off topic and whose should get censored. I seem to remember some posts in the past about the superiority of Mac computers and other stuff that is far more remote from windsports, yet nobody was making such threats then. Plus, I think Hank's post is not that remote from the topic. He might try to make it more diplomatically though.

Chasing the wind requires using a resource that is getting more expensive and more scarce. At what point will the costs become too high? Never? Is it irresponsible to burn a tank of gas for a session in Duluth or Mille Lacs when there is one to be had much closer? These are questions that might be unpleasant to consider, but they are not off topic.
X'actly. Chasing the wind is energy intensive. Also, look for increase equipment costs.
WASHINGTON — Gasoline prices in the coming months are likely to top $4 a gallon in some parts of the country, and perhaps nationally, the government said Tuesday.

According to the monthly report of the Energy Information Administration, the non-partisan statistical arm of the U.S. Energy Department, the monthly nationwide average gasoline price is likely to peak at $3.48 a gallon in May and June. That would be up more than a quarter a gallon from the record nationwide average price of $3.225 registered on Monday.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

My issue with Hank isn't this one post, it is his continued negativity. If you do a search on his posts you'll find that to be the trend. Don't know if there has been a positive post from him, other than assisting someone find some places to ride up near Leech Lake.

I've asked him numerous times over the years to try and stay positive in the forum, but from what I can gather he likes to dwell in the negative. Too bad, life is too short for that. And as the sites moderator, I get to choose what is acceptable and what isn't. It is very very rare that riders in this community ever need "moderating'? Hank I'll ask you this one last time. Please keep your posts positive and focused on what we can do to greater our enjoyment of the ride. thanks
Tighe
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

Hank,

I think what everybody is talking about is that you’re not making a very good connection to the wind side of things. It is fine to talk about the cost of getting to the lake, or ways we can carpool for example, but to just say “the price of oil is blah” and “the world is going to end by blah” is why people are making a beef about your posts. Please try and give a positive spin on things.
Last edited by Chris B on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slingshot Kiteboarding/Midwest Mountaineering Regional Team Rider
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

And on the lighter side.....

Hank

Post by Hank »

Chris B wrote:Hank,

I think what everybody is talking about is that you’re not making a very good connection to the wind side of things. It is fine to talk about the cost of getting of getting to the lake, or ways we can carpool for example, but to just say “the price of oil is blah” and “the world is going to end by blah” is why people are making a beef about your posts. Please try and give a positive spin on things. One more thing, never post anything that has a political bias!
:lol: