Ice Screw 101?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BillB

Ice Screw 101?

Post by BillB »

I've been launching on the snow with a sandbag.

How are most people using ice screws? :?:

Do I need 2 (i.e. one for launching?, one in my jacket?)? :?:

Thanks...

Bill
steveb

Post by steveb »

Bill. What kind of kite are you using?
Regional Ozone Team rider
sekollera

Post by sekollera »

I am new to kiting and I use two screws - one at the launch and one on my person. Last time out I used the spare twice to fix my kite lines. Prb. a good idea in any case.

/Adam
Nick in the TC

Post by Nick in the TC »

I use an old Slingshot fuel with a 5th line and only one ice screw. A second screw sounds like a good idea, but I don't seam to have any problems with one.
Kosk

Post by Kosk »

One is enough. Pull the screw out after you launch and re-anchor before you land. Bang the ice out and put the cap on, that way it'll work later when you need it. Be sure to stow it where you can't impale yourself on it. If you clip it to your harness, make sure it won't interfere with normal operation of your leash.

Mind your kite while doing this, you need to be able to steadily hold the kite at the zenith with one hand. Practice that first, before you start messing with the ice screw.

It's nice having the ice screw out there to bail yourself out if you get your kite and lines in a mess.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

where are people finding the best deals on ice screws? I can only find them for like 40-60 a each.

I was talking to extreme about buying an whole bunch of used ice screws to sell in the store.... can you sharpen an ice screw? back to "like new" condition?

would there be any intrest in referbished ice screws? I figure since I am not relying on the screw to hold my life on the side of an icy rock wall I don't need a new top of the line screw :? but I do want one.

Jon
Jon Stroh
efjanssen

Post by efjanssen »

I found a great holder for ice screws. Go to Moosejaw.com and search Petzl ice flute. The set of five comes apart, so you get five individual flutes for $30 or $6 per. They clip right on to the straps of your harness or belt. You can cut the flutes to size. The screws stay put in flute, so no danger of gouging your leg, jacket or stuff in your storage bag.
jeff1

Post by jeff1 »

Try this link: http://minnesotaclimbing.com/index.php? ... %3ft%3d504

I bought three of these and they were in good condition, did not need to be sharpened. This add was placed quite a few months ago, so I don't know how many he has left, but it is worth a shot.
DFD TEAM RIDER (team of one) + JRN honorary member
torisspacedog

Post by torisspacedog »

jeff1 wrote:Try this link: http://minnesotaclimbing.com/index.php? ... %3ft%3d504

I bought three of these and they were in good condition, did not need to be sharpened. This add was placed quite a few months ago, so I don't know how many he has left, but it is worth a shot.
I picked up 3 from him also he might still have 1 left and the 3 I got were like new.
Also to answer Jon's question they can be sharpened preferably by a shop that regrinds cutting tools like endmills and such. They really take alot of use to get dull though.
BillB

Ice screws...

Post by BillB »

Thanks for the info...

I'm using Slingshot T2's (9-11-14).

....is there a clip in the ice screw to attach to the chicken loop (or bar adjustment line on the T2s)?

Bill
jeff1

Post by jeff1 »

"....is there a clip in the ice screw to attach to the chicken loop (or bar adjustment line on the T2s)? "

I attatch a prusik loop to the ice screw and a carabiner from the prusik to the brake line on my foils, or the chicken loop on my inflatables.

I don't know if this is good, bad, or indifferent it is just what I use and it works well for me. The prusik loop is unnecessary, I just think that it makes the system more user friendly.
DFD TEAM RIDER (team of one) + JRN honorary member