Any one knows where in florida?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Alfredo

Any one knows where in florida?

Post by Alfredo »

Any one knows where to ride in florida? I'd like to go to florida by the end of feb.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

the fl keys are great. I rode at key west, behiahonda, and islemarada.

they all have shalows.

I would say that behia honda was my fav.

I will give you more info tonight

Jon
Jon Stroh
Alfredo

Thanks,Stroh

Post by Alfredo »

Thanks man, I also was wondering where I could ride some waves, so I can stay near to the kite area...
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

you want to ride waves... go to duluth, it's still open JK :lol:

I stuck in the keys.. no waves

Jon
Jon Stroh
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

oh and you can camp at behia honda... I think.
Jon Stroh
Hunter Welles

Post by Hunter Welles »

try jupiter island maybe for waves? ive ridden there before and it was pretty fun.

http://www.jupiterkiteboarding.com/
Ru High

Post by Ru High »

Go to Pompano, Ft lauderdale area. allot happening in that area.
Geo

Post by Geo »

Pompano Beach, eh?...Oh, yeah! That's where they have that pier that they launch boat tours that chum for the shark, and then swimmers in the shallows have had their ankles chewed on. Nice setup.
Judd or Dianne

Post by Judd or Dianne »

Judd and I spent 4 weeks last year in FL so I checked alot of sites, I just dogpiled FL kiteboarding and they have a couple of sites just like this one with lots of ride sites, but the Keys have no waves, lots of flats, it wasn't very windy while we where there mostly 16m stuff. East side of FL has the most wave sites, around Fort Pierce and Jupiter is great. We did not find it very launch friendly in Key West, but the local riders are real nice. Not much for camping , in the Key's unless you stay at a KOA, most of the stateparks had no room for even a tent. Off of the Keys we found lots of cheap camping in all the stateparks. We also had nice kiting around Fort De Soto (not sure on that spelling) and Clearwater Beach more bump and jump to flat water. They have camping at Fort De Soto, but no camping on Clearwater Beach, but lots of hotels.

Winds can be light in FL so bring big stuff. I've also had some good 9m stuff too.

Just a note the snorkling is great in Key West.

Hope that helps -- Dianne
darlene

Post by darlene »

I'm heading to the Keys in March, planning to stay in Islamorada, and kite mostly Anne's Beach, but will also check out others. Here's some kite beaches in the keys:

Islamorada:
* Whale Harbor Marina, Upper Matecumbe (Islamorada)—MM 83.5--they charge $5-$10 to use site. Grassy area to rig, tight launch, walk out into water to launch.
* Anne’s Beach, Lower Matecumbe (Islamorada)---MM 73--small municipal park with 2 parking lots for 10 cars each, the southern lot is the best launch. Noel @ Otherside Board Sports, 305-853-9728, has a BBQ there every Sunday if there’s wind, usually 20-50 people. The locals ride at Anne’s Beach because you have to pay at Whale Harbor. Great flat water, waist deep ½ mile out. Almost no beach on high tide. Water’s edge is 20m from highway, keep your kite away from the road.

Long Key:
* Long Key State Park---MM 68—Probably a fee to get into park

Marathon:
* Curry Hammock State Park---MM 62. Flat & shallow. Clean water with some muddy bottom. Small beach, not much space. Probably a fee to get into park
* Coco Plum--MM 52-54?
* Sombrero Beach—MM 50—Nice sand beach, nice sandy bottom, crystal clear water
* Bahia Honda State Park—MM 37. Fee to enter park. The only place in the keys that gets any waves, but they’re very small---nice sandbar, shallow, soft bottom-----excellent sandy beach-----Go to very north end of parking lot, then walk down the beach further east to stay out of the yellow buoys.

Key West:
* Smathers Beach—South end of island by airport. All kiting is done at eastern end of beach where the power lines stop. Shallow, flat water. Technical launch with wind shadows & close power lines.

Darlene 8)
Coach

Post by Coach »

Darlene and others hit it well the her summary. I'll only add that if you want waves then head up near Cocoa Beach. Florida isn't exactly known for waves, but that's near where they are going to happen if they are at all.

There are many good wave spots along the coast near the Cape, and mostly south from there for about an hour or so...

-Coach
JRN

Ft. Meyers?

Post by JRN »

While we're on the subject, Sun Country just started flying to Ft. Meyers.
Would that be a good jumping off point to hit some Gulf Coast & Fla. Keys
hot spots. I hear the traffic down there is horrendous, but... :? JRN
Judd or Dianne

Post by Judd or Dianne »

Judd and I are heading to FL the 22, going to Clearwater Beach for a couple of weeks, then checking out Cape San Blas , which is not too far from Panama City, for a week or so...

Steve B didn't you kite in that area last year? Anyone else kite in that area?

Man I am sick of winter, I need to take some clothes off :P

dianne
jcw

Florida Kiting

Post by jcw »

Heh,

Just got back from the Keys. Lots of good wind and riding at Anne's Beach and Whale Harbor. A couple of years ago I was up on the Panhandle. Cape San Blast can be good as can be Mexico Beach. Emerald Coast Kiteboarding is out of Panama City - if there's wind there's a group riding over there and they'll know where to go.

For the past several years I've been flying NWA in and out of Fort Lauderdale. I put my boards and wet suits in a wake board bag and my kites in a large duffel. I've never been charged either way. My wake board bag must max out about 150 cause my 149 Glide is about as big as it would hold.

If you get to the Keys, check out the group at Anne's. Its shallow enough you never see white caps. More than one northerner read the wind wrong and went out too big and was way over powered. Man, do I love those flats . . . .

Ride on,
Jerry W :)
darlene

Post by darlene »

Jerry, I was at Anne's Beach on March 2nd. Did you see a girl with crutches? (that was me).

Darlene 8)
jcw

Anne's Beach

Post by jcw »

Darlene,

Unfortunately, I drove out of the Keys on March 1st and got back in MN that evening.

Sorry I missed you. Hope you won't be off your board for long.

I won't be back at Anne's until January 31, 2009.

Ride on,
Jerry
RobH

Girl on crutches

Post by RobH »

Hey Darlene - Whats up with the Crutches ? Heather and I agree with the long winter - its time to go get some sun and wind in warmer temps!!
Rob Hyland
Cabrinha Shop Rider / Lakawa Team Rider