Halloween Wind

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

steve erickson

Halloween Wind

Post by steve erickson »

Anyone thinking about visiting Father Hennepin for Halloween?
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

can't do it with trick or treating in the evening.

I'm going to try and hit Waconia, for some swell riding.
Tighe
Randy

Getty our costumes ready

Post by Randy »

Steve, Looks like Judd and I are for sure. Diane and Terry Daniels are possibles. We'll be leaving sometime between 9 and 10, arriving back home by 7. My cell is 612-590-0970, so feel free to call me in the am. We may go to Izaty's if it's WNW. Looking good.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Randy

Mille Lac Report

Post by Randy »

Judd and I drove up in the am, and I was oblivious to the temp until we got past Hinckley and I saw it was only 42. I thought the temp would drop later in the day. We met Terry on the south shore and traveled west to Izaty's. The temp had dropped to 40, but was at 43 by the lake.
It was very westerly, so wind strength was deceptive. I rigged my 5M, went out for a test run to realize 4.5M would probably work.
We launched Judd on his 12M, and he was fully wound from the get go. Terry held onto his 5.2M, I came in, warmed my hands, and rigged down to my 4.5M. Ahhh, what a difference. As the day progressed the wind forecast held true and it kicked in. I held onto my 4.5M, Terry rigged down to his 4.2M and Judd eventually went down to his 9M.
The WNW at first made for awesome port jumps, but when it really kicked it turned NW. Interesting how our 4-6' windsurf jumps lose some energy when Judd's popping 30-40' jumps all day long. With the 30mph winds and his 12M, the horizontal trip sometimes seemed a couple hundred yards.

By around three I was spent. Terry came in shortly after and I think we pulled out around 5. It was a great day. The water texture was spetacular. It was strange at Izaty's. They have it all shut down, hardly anyone around. Glad to hear others made it out on the Bear and Waconia. Steve, did you make it to Father Hennepin? Pete, any comments on Pepin? What a great fall....
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Sid

Post by Sid »

Greg Heymans and I stayed local and went to Byllesby. A slight and varying amount of north component kept it from delivering its classsic steep swell but Greg on his 4.7 and I on my 4.1 had a great time. What a beautiful day to be out!
steve erickson

Post by steve erickson »

Randy, by the time I was able to leave the office I decided it was too late to drive to Milacs and still get much sailing time. I headed west to Waconia instead of White Bear knowing the wave action should be a little better. I wasn't disapointed. 6-8 windsurfers & 3-4 kiters enjoyed 4.5 conditions, lots of sun and great swell. 50F is still cold to me I don't know about 40F!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Pepin was a really gusty with some large holes. The best sailing I had was around 3:00. The wind had finally filled in it seemed. I thought I was fininshed but rigged up again to find some nice ramps to catch a little air. I guess it was exhastion that called it a day for me. I was hoping for a full day of huge ramps but I t didn't happen.