Homemade Kite

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

gbgreen59

Homemade Kite

Post by gbgreen59 »

I inflated my first homemade kite today. It looks pretty good considering it's the first. Hope the photos show up. Most of today was spent putting together the bridle. The bridle is about 1/3 to 1/2 done.

Size: ~17 sq m
Type: Flat bow(ish)
Bridle: Hybrid SLE, KPO, with Flysurfer Psyco III flavor. You'll have to see it to see what I mean.
Aspect Ratio: ~6

I learned a lot on this project. There are many things that will be done differently on the next one. If it doesn't rip in half and I can stay up wind, I'll be really happy. The fabric for this kite was taken from the old Cabrinha Contra 23.5m. I tried to keep the patterns and especially the 23.5m indicators just for fun. Hope I can get the pictures to post. I'm pretty sure I'm not doing this right for the pictures to show. Maybe someone can give me some help on this.

Can't wait to fly it.

Gary
Last edited by gbgreen59 on Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
G2 Kiteboarding
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

This is my second try at posting the pic.s. I believe the links are working, but I'm still having trouble getting the pictures to show. Sorry for the inept ability

G2 Kiteboarding
Denis

Post by Denis »

Very nice.

How did you measure all your briddles? I would imagine that it's hard to get those exact for the curvature of the kite. What did you use to design the kite? Surfplan? autocad? pen & paper?

Great job keeping the logos and colors coordinated.

Denis
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

gb, Gave you a little help with the pics.

That is incredible. You deserve some credit for all that work, looks great.

Oooops....they had some code that changed anything using an image tag into an ad for "myphotoalbum" so I had to change it back to the URL tag. Sorry....... it worked for awhile. Yor post would have worked fine using the URL tag rather than the IMG tag. Can't get the images to show up inline...guess they don't like that.

http://gbgreen59.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... GarBow_001

http://gbgreen59.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... GarBow_004

http://gbgreen59.myphotoalbum.com/view_ ... GarBow_005
Last edited by Tom L on Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

Thanks for the help posting the pic.s. I feel like a complete moron.

I used SurfPlan for the design tool. The plans were printed over Christmas in '06. Many days of kiting were missed trying to get the kite done. It was a much bigger project than I thought.

The bridle was started yesterday, and it is about 1/3 done. Surfplan only allows the attachement points at the seam of each panel. I didn't follow this, so I'm paying for it now. Lots of adjustment.
G2 Kiteboarding
JRN

Too Kool!

Post by JRN »

Geeze GB, You did a bang-up job! I can't imagine the time, patience, & skill it took to complete the job. Way to go. Make sure to tell us how it flies. It looks really nice regardless. JRN