winds last sunday Reddy vs Malmo

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Rookie Renstrom

winds last sunday Reddy vs Malmo

Post by Rookie Renstrom »

Last Sunday I was up at Reddy with a bunch of fly swattin’, Sushi eating, half naked, kiters, watching Jerry go back and forth, waiting for the wind to come up. But on the way home we stopped at malmo, and it seemed like they had a lot more wind there. Is that possible??
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Tighe
JRN

Malmo

Post by JRN »

Not a WEATHERGUY, but @ MALMO...John Z. was able to plane early that day on a 25 M C-Kite & a Ply-board. I got going a little after that on my W16 & a HUGE strapless wakesurfer. Tighe's 14 T-2 Wunderkite amazed in light breezes. My pet theory is that the wind pattern is interupted by Hunters Point, causing more turbulence. But I've grown to prefer Malmo: fewer swimmers, no sand in my gear, no cars stuck in the sand, etc. I do miss the floating sushi in fish fly gravy, and most of all....watching The Legend do his thing! :wink: JRN
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

On the same day (last Sunday) as I drove home past Garrison (about 5:00) I counted three kiters. Two on what looked like 12 or 14M kites and one on a 10M I was able to see clearly. I had just left Reddy where all were on 16M and large boards. Everyone else was still on shore.

So the wind was on both sides of the lake and not down the middle? If the dome model fits, then perhaps we're seeing the wind get split coming up the lake and slide off to either side? It's gotta go somewhere.
ice_kmauve

Post by ice_kmauve »

just so you don't get too much of a distorted conception of the wind at Malmo, I can tell you the guy on the 10m was just practicing kite flying, not riding. I think the 14m TD was the low wind grunt superstar that day.
"They call me Doctor Love.. Doctor love!!" - an obscure rock band.
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

It was in Garrison ....13mph but kinda gusty. Still fun though!
Todd
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
JRN

Garrison?

Post by JRN »

Where did you launch, Todd? Is it still okay to go just west of that condo resort past those trees? Looks SE again for Sun. Jim N,
Sid

Post by Sid »

I don't know how the kiters did, but on Sunday between 2PM and 3:30PM is was blowing just south of Malmo and I was more than steadily powered on my 5.5 and 93ltr board. I checked the history on land and it said 18-26mph which is pretty consistent with what I had.
It has happened several times that, when there is good wind, it has some east component and doesn't work great from the east shore, I have gone over to Reddy, Wealthwood, or Garrison, and found no wind to sail.
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

We were a 1000 feet north of the big paper machae fish
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/