Breezy Point Resort on Pelican Today

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Bryce

Breezy Point Resort on Pelican Today

Post by Bryce »

I'm going to head out to breezy point resort to enjoy the southeast wind after work. ETA 4:30-5.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Bryce
Can't make it today, but will be up there the 19,20,21st of this month. Hopefully you can introduce me to that lake.

ride on
Tighe
duckjibe

Re: Breezy Point Resort on Pelican Today

Post by duckjibe »

Bryce wrote:I'm going to head out to breezy point resort to enjoy the southeast wind after work. ETA 4:30-5.

Hey Bryce, do you know of any other good launch sites on that lake? I'm right across hwy 3 on Horseshoe just about every weekend through the summer. Horseshoe works great on SE days but nothing else. Having Pelican so close I've sailed it a few times on N-NW days but there isn't any good public launches that I know of. There is a public beach on the S shore but the caretaker doesn't really like windsurfer's using up the beach, it's fine on crappy weather days when the beach isn't busy.

I'm heading up there after the swap on Saturday, looks like it'll be blowin all weekend!
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

The N NW works good on the south side at the beach. This is my first year up here so I have never delt with the caretaker. I've been at that beach 3 times the past week and there has not been many people around. I can see it getting busy on the weekends though.. espically the holiday weekends when everyone is coming up.

You might be able to launch at the boat public access on the southwest side of the lake. It would work for any northern wind. Not nearly as nice as the beach though...

It will be a good time this summer! I'm gone this weekend to fargo, but I'll be here lot of the time this summer.

Tighe, I should be around the 19th-21st. We will have to get out on the lake. Shallow and sandy... This lake it great!

Bryce
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

I have a cabin on the south side of Pelican and agree the public beach there is good on a N wind. In the middle of summer, it is one of the few clear spaces without docks to cruise safely.

As our sport grows in numbers here, we will need to be careful about using that beach during the busy summer months as it is often packed with swimmers. Since there seem to be fewer public spaces available for beach goers these days, an accident or complaint from a concerned swimmer could have a huge impact on the ability to launch there as well as the Breezy point location.

Fortunately, cold and windy North wind days the beach isn't too busy...

Ride safely...

Mark
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

Are you guys talking about pelican lake near detroit lakes?
Denis

Post by Denis »

I think that there are talking about this one http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&s ... 25363&z=15

Todd showed me that little slice of Heaven last year. It was great, but the wind was light. Lots of swimmers, but they are mostly in their little pen which is corded off. The shallow sandy bottom goes on for a while. Great to stand and relaunch.

Denis
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
P R Key

Post by P R Key »

Thanks Denis. I didn't know there were two Pelican lakes. I only knew about the one near Pelican Rapids (detroit lakes area).