Innovation, Innovation, Innovation

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Innovation, Innovation, Innovation

Post by Tighe »

I keep thinking that the innovation with kite designs will eventually level out as the sport matures and we'll see small refinements, but the whole bow kite thing threw that out the window. That tangent is still being pursued by Bruno and Wind-X (and rumors of Cabrinha) with super high AR bows, and most manufacturers have a bow and/or a hybrid in their line up for 07.

Windwing which had some manufacturing issues and many thought were done, has now come back with two radical designs. One which includes large panels of monofilm scrim material like is prevalent in wave windsurfing sails. The other, below, is rather odd looking. I would imagine it would turn super fast but not have that much float. I've given up trying to assess performance by shape alone.

Ozone is developing a closed cell foil for water. Peter Lynn and a few others have had these for years, and have developed quite a reputation for super stable kites. It'll be interesting to see where this kite excells.

I also get leaks from SS about new products. If this is an indication of what's going behind the scenes with most companies, we're gonna see some cool new products in 08.

So many options this year: Bows, 4 line hybrids, 5 line hybrids, foils, C's...and within each of these high AR and Low AR models. I just hope the complexity doesn't scare off anyone interested in the sport.

What a cool time to be in a sport though.

Tighe
steveb

Post by steveb »

Cool looking kite....for the old boardheads does the shape remind you of the old ART sails with the cut away in the leach, I forget what they called it. Probably after the same thing which is to control the profile of the training edge for wind release.
Maybe the next big development for kites will be a carbon mast and boom?.
I'm with you Tighe, fun times. If these developments make it easier for old farts to look good they get my vote.

Tighe see you in the sun :P :D :lol:
Regional Ozone Team rider
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Tighe,

The sport sure has advanced. It has been made so much easier, with so much more wisdom to share with beginners. I just got back from Belize, Sunday. My 17 yr old nephew took 3 kiting lessons, and was riding fully powered on a 13m Waroo after 3 days. I look back to my self taught days in kiting beginning in '99 and I would have to sheepishly admit that it took me a couple of years to get as far as my nephew did in 3 days. The future is bright! Let's hope it doesn' get too popular.

Lots of Kite cam video from Belize if I ever get time to edit. Took Parker on a tandem ride on a Session 141.
thenamessean04

Post by thenamessean04 »

The latest video on kiteforum is of the pictured kite aka the batwing jumping in low wind if you are interested in seeing it in action! I thought the video was awesome.
Sean Cunliffe
Hunter Welles

Post by Hunter Welles »

Tom thats great to hear Robby was up and riding, he came back stoked on kiting! Hes really exciting to go up to Mille Lacs and ride this summer.

The new gears amazing, there are soo many possibilities with this sport and its constantly evolving, unlike snowboarding for example which for the most part has stopped progressing as far as technology. I just can't imagine what kiteboarding will look like 10 years from now!
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

another one. Unidentified but some think it may be a North. It looks almost high enough aspect for mr. Stroh
Tighe
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

And how refreshing that Windwing this season is promoting the radical idea in a consumer culture that all you need is ONE kite to cover a wide range of conditions and go out and have fun. I forget the French philosopher who said it, but something to the effect that true progress only occurs when greater simplicity results.

Cheers to your nephew, Tom, for getting up and riding so quickly. I, too, took a couple of years to really ride, but then I'm a few sessions past 17 and in my usual bonehead fashion insisted on teaching myself at sketchy launches in high winds.

A college student who helps me coach the local alpine team is studying in Perth this semester, where between classes she is learning to kite. Like your nephew, she experienced a three-day trajectory: one day of flying on the beach; one day of body dragging; one day of water starts and finally powered up riding. The stoke is contagious in her email reports.

Bill
gbgreen59

Post by gbgreen59 »

I've got a "garage hack" kite going. Calling it the GarBow. It is a high aspect, ultra flat 17m. The fabric is reused from my 23.5m Contra. Hours and hours were spent with a seam ripper...I'll never do that again :shock: . It will, most likely, perform terribly. But, it is fun to try just the same. A brief interchange with Armin Harich was made, who gave me permission to use my own spin on the Speed 2 line system. I'm working really hard to have it ready for the May event in Des Moines. Anybody want to watch me "death spiral" across Saylorville?
G2 Kiteboarding
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

very cool and courageous Gary. Who knows you may discover THE kite of the future.
Tighe
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Bill,
Yeah the one kite quiver seems to only be held onto by a few manufacturers. Who would promote such a thing unless it was 2-3x as expensive? You'ld be making a third of you potential from each customer. My experience is that the range that you could get out of the TD and the Crossbow 1 and others, has been sacrificed for more stability. Fair enough. I can't tell you though how incredible it was after 20+ years windsurfing(6 sails/3 boards) and 5+ years kiting (3 kites 2 boards) to not have to hmm and haw at the lake for 20 minutes deciding what to rig. Added up I'm sure all those 20 minutes and rerigging sessions totalled weeks of my life.

I think the kites with the most range this year are the true bows. They are identified by the concave trailing edge. There are few out there.

Ocean Rodeo has an interested way of promoting their three kites.
The one kite quiver kite, the two kite quiver kite and the three kite quiver kite. http://www.oceanrodeo.com/kites.php

There is also a huge debate on kiteforum about the rationality of having a one kite quiver. Why ride a big kite in high winds just cause you can, or why work a smaller kite in light winds when a bigger kite would just make it easier.

I don't know maybe I'll have two quivers. One 2-3 kite quiver, and one one kite quiver. If you don't have a lot of time, or it's really gusty, or I just don't want to think about what to rig, I'll rig the one kite. Otherwise if it is at either end of the range I'll rig one of the others.

Hunter has a great point. It will be really interesting to see what our kites will be like 10 years from now.
Tighe
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

12 & 16 CB1 for me is a charm. In July I will be starting my 3rd season on the 16m CB1. 14m to 16m Bow kites really cover a lot of ground. In the Belize trades without the powers spikes you get in the gusts we have here, I could hold down a huge amount of wind on a 128cm board I used the 16m every day from 12 to 28mph.

I guess where you sail can have alot do with your quiver. The Gorge, Hatteras, the Caribbean, the Midwest dictate a different quiver. The Midwest requires a lot more equipment if you want to sail 3 days a week.
Denis

Post by Denis »

gbgreen59 said
The fabric is reused from my 23.5m Contra. Hours and hours were spent with a seam ripper...
That's how the other bow started too. Here's a hacked up Wipika Freeair 8.9 used by Bruno for the development of the current bow kite.

Image from
http://www.inflatablekite.com/sitebow/BowOrigin.php

Keep up the innovation. Just be careful not to be the victim of your own though. :wink:

Denis
(================P-</
Sponsored by Slingshot Kiteboarding
steveb

Post by steveb »

With the range of flat kites the rig fest ( my pet hate too) seems to be disapearing.
I think most people using flat kites ( regardless of style) can get away with 2 kites for 98% of our conditions, probably two boards too, all round and a light airs one.
For me it's a 16 and 12, or this year a 15m and 11. I'll see how it pans out.
Regional Ozone Team rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

good point Steve. An extra board can really extend the range of any quiver. And it's a lot easier to rerig (i.e. grab) another board.
Tighe