Lake Superior

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BEN

Lake Superior

Post by BEN »

It's blowing 33 ENE. Delp, Chip........ What..... the ice is aaaalllllomst gone! Soon boys, soon. I can't wait! It's going to be an early year.
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

Ben, thanks for the update on Lake Superior. You might not recognize my name but I'm the one you met at the gorge and at south padre from up north. Glad to see you're still sailing. Anyways, what are your thoughts on the Lester River launch for windsurfing. I know they get a sweet wave coming in if the conditions are right. Have you ever launched there? I've been thinking about it all winter. Alot of the crew from up north have been in Aruba and texas for the last month. Good wind reports and unfortunately I skiied powder all winter in Montana so I'm stuck in the northland for the spring. You should be seeing us soon on the big water. My dry suit is gettings the seals replaced so when that comes back I should be ready for sailing.
BEN

Hey Man!

Post by BEN »

Nice to hear from you. Heck ya I'm still sailing. Windsurfing is the best......plus chicks dig it. Alot of the ice came out today. At 7:30 tonite, the ice was at 26th ave east. Not long now. Chris Delp and I sailed off af Lester about a year ago. There is a big wind shadow there. I think it really needs to come out of the E. YOu can trash your gear on the rocks because of it. Also, once in the wind line you are out quit a bit from shore. If you break down it is a long float to Canal Park. Not to mention cold. I'm pretty sure Randy has sailed up there a couple times. Randy? You out there? The best resource is probably Chip. He grew up on the point sailing and windskipping. Chip? You out there? Anyway, I'll give it another try anytime. Call me when your coming up to sail 218-428-5936. Oh, sredding powder out in Mt. must have sucked. A few wave sessions and you might feel better. Later. Ben
npetrack

Post by npetrack »

Thanks for getting back to me Ben. I appreciate the information and look forward to seeing you on the water. I checked out the launch site and it did appear that it would have to be more east than anything like you said. I'm hoping to find the right combination of wind and waves for that spot. I updated all of my little sailing gear and hopefully can get out on it soon. Keep in touch. I'm always checking the website but we mainly sail north of duluth unless the conditions are right.
Randy

Lester

Post by Randy »

Hey Ben...good to see your post and also looking for another great season up there with the Duluth posse. Chip...sure hoping we're gonna get to see you back on the water... Chris...missing that monster smile.

As for Lester, I've only launched from it when the harbor's been filled with ice. I've generally needed a meter larger size to get out and then find myself super overpowered on the outside...so wind shadow is definitely a concern. Perhaps the biggest concern is water drift time in the event of a breakdown. I could easily see an hour drift or longer...definitely risking the safety window. That's why I like Tot Lot...it's much easier to get out when it's onshore and the drift is seldom more than a few minutes.

I know we're all looking for that beautiful sideshore launch, but I'd suggest waiting until the waters warm back up to upper 50's or 60.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

If your looking for side shore I would head to the WI point somewhere befor port wing.