Iowa crew ????

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Stroh

Iowa crew ????

Post by Stroh »

when do you guys think the sailorville will open for bisness?
it's got to be soon :D

Jon
Uffe

Post by Uffe »

Hey Jon,
Well, March 5th there was 14 inches of ice on Lake Saylorville, and me and Larry were out snow kiting on it in perfect 32 degree conditions.
http://www.jentler.com/archives/2007/03 ... iting.html
Then the heat came, now all the snow is gone and I bet we are loosing 2-3 inches (if not more) of ice per day. We will be out windsurfing as soon as there is a hole 100x400m, just as in Decemeber... We'll post a note on here when it opens up.

- Uffe
USWE 22
alf

Post by alf »

Soon
Very Soon!! :D :D :D
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Sweet... I herd that the fishermen have been traveling south for open water, I figured I would do the same.

I have spring break starting today and going through next weekend
hopefully the ice clears before my break is over.

what wind directions am I looking for kiteing... I prefer on-shore wind maby a litle side on especialy for those early sessions in the cold water ( if I run out of power I want to get blown into the launch) :D

thanks for the updates, and keep'em comming
Jon
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

are there any other's thinking of makeing the trip? I know all you poleboarders are going through withdrawls right about now :cry: :roll:

10 day mfr looks great.... some strong wind days comming up, perfect for an opener session :D :D :D :D that is if it opens by wed.

Jon
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Clear Lake is still iced in - camera is pointed the "right" way today:

http://www.clearlakeiowa.com/live/

Haven't been down to the St. Croix yet...any info from the Hudson crowd?
sail51

Saylorville Lake - 03/16 report

Post by sail51 »

Stoped by Saylorville lake this evening..........
The lake is on the rise....... up 6 to 8 feet, and restricted access at the present...... The ice has not started to break yet...... First good windy Day it will probably break up and be gone..... Curently only open water around the edges.......
We will let ya know when it's open......
Larry IA01
freejoshua7

Post by freejoshua7 »

On Sunday, the St. Croix at Prescott, wi looked like it was about to fully open by the end of this week, but I haven't driven by it since then. It would only work for North winds though.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

sounds good lary looks like tuesday wensday it's going to blow some southerlie direction. with water levels that high will it be difficult to launch kites...

Jon
sail51

Not a problem Launching yet........

Post by sail51 »

We have several good Launche's........ Water is not up that much yet, not sure how high it will go...... Smaller Stream's are dropping allready......
Depend's on how much is coming down the river......
so far they just closed the lower parking Lot's as the water is on the edges of the parking area........
Will Keep ya informed......... But Next weekend is a Good posibility...... Normally we are on the water by Now........
Larry..... IA01
sail51

Ice is Gone.........

Post by sail51 »

Sailed Big Creek this evening........
Ice is all Gone, But water is cold yet......
Sailed with my Shorty Wet suit...... and 5 mil. Hightop bootie's.....
Plained just a little, But water was cold Splashing on me......
Saylorville is all open, But a little High......
Water level is falling, so should be sailable by this Weekend.....
Larry IA01
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

sweet, I will head down there as soon as the wind lines up.

I have a drysuit so i'm not to worried about the cold.

Jon
Uffe

Lake Saylorville ice Free

Post by Uffe »

Me and Larry were up on the lake today. Lake Saylorville just north of Des Moines, IA is totally ice free and open for kiting and windsurfing. The lake is about 10 ft higher than normal due to the large amount of melting we have seen this spring. However there is not a lot of floating debree and the lake is very open. The acess points of Oak Grove, Cherry Glen and Praire Flower is easily acessible for both windsurfers and water kiters at this time. Larry, Ulf and Randy will be at the Cherry Glen Access this Saturday around 12 PM to windsurf, feel free to meet us there.

- Uffe
USWE 22
ujentler@gmail.com
[/i]