Second Windsurfing Sail

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Fred MPL

Second Windsurfing Sail

Post by Fred MPL »

I am getting prepared for a season packed with windsurfing. I picked up a used 2005 Bic Techno Formula 170L late last season.

I only have one sail currently, a Neil Pryde RX-1 8.0.

Does anyone have any recommendations on the next sail size I should purchase?

My initial thought was to pick a sail around 6.5. Since I am newer to the sport, I thought going a size down would be smarter than purchasing a 9.5 for a second sail.

Any thoughts on this? Additionally, is anyone willing to part with a decent sail that's less than five years old for under $200?

Thanks,

Fred
Fred
Stillwater, MN
Professor Robae'

Post by Professor Robae' »

Hi Fred,

I have a 6.7 RS-1 that is in excellent conditon that I would sell and I'm happy to share some quiver ideas with you. Give me a call 612 two seven five 6010.

the Prof.
sail51

Good Used Equipment..........

Post by sail51 »

Hey Fred........
The House, anual Swap meet is a great place to get good, used windsurfing & Kiteing Equipment .......
It is usually the Second Weekend in May...... Weekend after the Saylorville Regatta........ Hope..... Hope......
Larry...... IA01
Fred MPL

Post by Fred MPL »

Larry,

The swap meet sounds like a great idea. I will make sure to be there. I'll see you down in Iowa as well for my first race. I'm not very good, so I'm shooting for a finish!

Fred :o
Fred
Stillwater, MN
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Rumor has it the swap is May 5, not the second weekend in May this year.

It competes with WI fishing opener weekend which is better than M-day weekend. It seems like every year it blows hard on M-day.

I think your step down from an 8.0 is 6.5ish. I've sailed 9.5, 8.0, 6.5, 5.5, 4.7. 4.0, 3.5 for many years and wouldn't change the quiver a bit. I almost never use the 9.5 except it has come in handy on summer vacations a few times when the winds are lighter. The 8.0 gets the most work and I often end up sailing it down to 5.5 so if don't have much money to buy new stuff you can really stretch the sail ranges these days.

KO
Kevin Ousdigian
drknap

Post by drknap »

Kevin
do not try to hold on, You are well on your way to the dark side. After SPI, I see your future posts to be about kite sizes rather than sail sizes. It is your destiny!
Kurt
Geo

Post by Geo »

I agree: a later model 6.5-ish was what I go the most time on in the last few years. Of course, THEN you're gonna want a smaller board, too.... mmmbwuahahaha!!!!