Returned From South Padre

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

pat taylor

Returned From South Padre

Post by pat taylor »

I got back from South Padre yesterday. It was one of the best sailing trips I have been on. The wind blew every other day for most of the month of November. When the wind did not blow, the temperature was usually in the high 70's to low 80's and sunny. I mainly sailed my 6.0, 5.2, and 4.5. Twice I was able to sail my 3.75 with an 85 liter board. Minnesota is well represented in South Padre. The sailors and kiters from Minnesota were: Judd, Diane, Teran, Jack Mertz, Bob and Vicki Milbert, Laura, Jay, John, Frank, and I am leaving off some. I hated to leave, but the boss said she wanted me home for Thanksgiving. If anyone is considering the trip to South Padre, it is well worth it. The sailing is great and the cost is fairly reasonable. There was a Motel 6 that had rooms for a single for $19.99 a night. I stayed in the campgroung, which was $210 for the month. I plan to to back in February/March. After sailing in the warm water and tempertature of South Padre, I probably will not be able to sail in Minnesota until July 4. Oh well, its good to to be home.
DougW

Post by DougW »

:?: Glad you had such a great trip. I would like to go to South Padre. How far is the campground from the sailing? What is it called?
Doug Wiltsie
pat taylor

South Padre Camping and Sailing Reply

Post by pat taylor »

The campground is Isla Blanca. It is on South Padre Island. The campground is approximately 3 miles from the sailing/kiting. There are a lot of options to sail/kite. One can sail out of Phil Money's, or the Convention Center, or the North Flats. Sailing/kiting on the laguna side, the water is about waist deep to chest deep. Sailing/kiting is user frinedly. Attempting to learn tricks, etc. is popular here. Also the Gulf side can be sailed/kited, on certain wind direction days. Thus, one can sail/kite in waves. South Padre is without a doubt one of the best sailing/kiting destinations in the world.
Tighe

Check destinations

Post by Tighe »

Pat,
I just put a blurb in the Destinations forum on S. Padre. Could you check it out. Is there anything you would add? Correct?

thanks
tighe
Tighe
pat taylor

Tighe's South Padre Blurb

Post by pat taylor »

I read it and it looks good. The campground is Isla Blanca in the Careron County Park System. The phone number is 956-761-5494. There is also a private campground that is called Destination South Padre RV Resort. This is more upscale with pool, spa, cable tv, etc. The phone number is 1-800-867-2373. Anyone that wants to learn kiting; this is the place.