HELP and RIDE TIME?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

djmadmike

help

Post by djmadmike »

My experience is that a lesson is a HUGE help, at a min the first time on the water. I did not have much experience in the winter though either.

I would offer to help you out, but lets face it--I suck
:shock: and need a lot more practice!

Special thanks to Nate, Tighe, Matt and Scott Chapman for all the help so far.

Good luck!
Mike N
drknap

Post by drknap »

It pains me to know you have a TD not being used. I too have/had a very irregular schedule and was never able to line up a lesson. With patience, lots of frustration, lots of scanning blogs, lots of curbside help from fellow sailors I eventually figured it out and now feel quite comfortable with a kite-well mostly. Although, I would definitely support a lesson if you can line one up, you can figure it out with never having formal lessons. I would suggest getting out to a spot-particularly Malmo, anytime you can, watch people set up and fly, and just chat with the fellows on the shore. I'd probably stay away from WBL until your quite comfortable with things but its still worth while to swing by and oberve others. Good luck.
Kurt
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Wecome to the Chat Bo. Yes it has been the worst of luck, everyday you have off there is no wind.

Keep bugging us, we'll do our best to get you out. We just need wind.

Study that TD DVD. It'll help.

Pick up an intro video. Not all of it is pertanent to the TD or to our conditions but it will help to start putting the process together.

If you have the day off and there is any breeze head to Malmo or lake Washington. You can practice the launching and landing techniques we went through in as little as 6 mph. I can have Nathan or Matt hook up with you as well.

don't loose faith. Summer is tough because of the inconsistent winds.
Tighe
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

At the very minimal have an experienced rider help get you going.

If you’re looking for someone to help setup your kite and get it flying for the first time I could help you with that anytime the wind blows.

FYI; if you think your going to need a ride back up wind from a few body drags just let a few people know when and about where you plan on ending up.
Slingshot Kiteboarding/Midwest Mountaineering Regional Team Rider
Chris B

Post by Chris B »

and bring a few extra after session beverages.
Slingshot Kiteboarding/Midwest Mountaineering Regional Team Rider
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

8-15 would be fine Bo. Make the drive. Even if you only do an hour lesson, spend the rest of the time working on what you learned. I know many student who have spent days launching, relaunching, body dragging, and just getting used to their kite. Do this at these lakes in the shallows and everything will be easier when you are out over your head. You'll learn so much just flying your kite and learning what to do when it crashes.
Tighe
RS24

Post by RS24 »

im just a nooB too. If anyone wants to show me, I will bring plenty of after session beverages as well :D
Micky

Post by Micky »

don't give up and don't sell your kite. I too am a newbie who can navigate on snow with a foil. You need to learn about your kite in shallow water at either Malmo or Washington or you'll just waste time. It took some people two or three years to get up on water. I spent half a day with a new 11-meter bowkite and I can already plane for a few feet. faceplants included! Here's my cell number if you want to suffer with me:6128680393
steveb

Post by steveb »

Hey you newbies, make sure you say hello and introduce yourselfs when you see some of us at the beach, nothing worse than seeing posts and not knowing the face behind the words, you'll find all the kiters are really friendly and happy to meet you.
TomG

Post by TomG »

SOMEONE prode Mother Nature I'm going through withdraws here !!!
The real pro isnt the one who doesn't make a mistake. The real pro is the one that does the best job hiding it!
RS24

Post by RS24 »

steveb wrote:Hey you newbies, make sure you say hello and introduce yourselfs when you see some of us at the beach, nothing worse than seeing posts and not knowing the face behind the words, you'll find all the kiters are really friendly and happy to meet you.
im the guy that has no clue :D

I will for sure, one thing I have noticed is how close nit you guys are. Nice break from the soap opera drama on my softball teams
steveb

Post by steveb »

Always nice to know the guy who's going to haul your ass out of the lake when something goes wrong.
Boardheads, regardless of type, spend more time together, go on vacation to the same place, bitch that not enough girls are taking up the sport. ( though I must say kiting seems to be attracting more women than windsurfing ever did) Bitch that there's no wind. Your regular friends will cease to understand you when you don't go to that party because it 's going to be windy, over time the only people who understand you and are willing to spend time with you are other boardheads, to them you seem quite normal, I promise that to everyone else you will begin to seem really wierd. You get so you can forcast the weather better than channel 5, An O'neill wetsuit catalog does more for you than the Victorias secret catalog,that smell of rubber is becoming your favourite cologne. The only way you ever talk about work is trying to figure out ways of getting out of it, or retiring really early.
Give it a little time...when you're a total wind addict you'll be as close knit as the rest of us, the bummer is we'll be the only friends you'll have.
The cool thing is true boardheads are always available to try other things when there's no wind, because they never make plans...it just might be WINDY.