WBL Wednesday / Weather Links?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Tighe

Post by Tighe »

oops my bad. That link that you sent for the forecast, is actually a forecast for Maui...so obviously I don't use that one much....how come no one mentioned that????

For the week or long term forecasts I scan the 10 day MRF to get an idea what the isobars are forecast to do.
As a windy day approaches I check the Isobars 24h and 36h, I check the Graphs under each region (use the pull down to go past 48hours).
Day before and day of, I scan the Graphs, NGM, and the Noaa Experimental 12hr.
I also like the new animated ISOs.

Remember some of the forecasts are in Zulu time which is -5-6 hours ahead of us. For example 1800z is midday...noon or 1:00.

hope this helps.

ride on
Tighe
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Tighe wrote:oops my bad. That link that you sent for the forecast, is actually a forecast for Maui...so obviously I don't use that one much....how come no one mentioned that????
I saw that the summer of 04 when I was first getting into the wind. I thought you had done that on-porpous to make people jelious :lol: :lol:

Tighe wrote:As a windy day approaches I check the Isobars 24h and 36h, I check the Graphs under each region (use the pull down to go past 48hours).
what is the pull down... where do I find it

Tighe wrote:Remember some of the forecasts are in Zulu time which is -5-6 hours ahead of us. For example 1800z is midday...noon or 1:00.
to futher clarify...
right now, becouse it is daylight savings time we are 6 hours behind UTC/zulu time

I use isobars and noaa Exptl the most, they are very reliable. also NWS hourly graph, Iwindsurf, and accuweather.

Jon
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

I think the quote thing isn't working... :cry: or maby operator error :oops:
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Yeah not sure what is up with the quote thing. hmm

On the Graph page, which is within the NWS site there is a pull down that allows you to select when the 48 hour period starts. If I were interested in this weekend, and I saw the 10day MRF suggesting wind, I'd select the 48 hour period to start Saturday Morning like this:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ifps/MapClick.p ... eadHour=73

I have found though that the longrange isn't too accurage on the graph.
Tighe
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

fixed the windguru link. you may have to refresh/reload to get it to update
Tighe