Laboured all day

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

steveb

Laboured all day

Post by steveb »

We had a great day 15 to 25 today. Got to really be powered on the xbow...wow. Gust to 25 on a 16m and I never sheeted in on the center strap adjuster, the range is amazing.
It's going to take a little while to get the timing for jumps, but when I got it right :shock: .
Me happy! :D
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Hey Steve,

I had to stay local and had 2 great days on Tonka. The 16m Xbow has been awsome in conditions that normally, I would'nt have even gone out. Seriously, today, I was kiting in 7 -25, the Xbow cruised through it all. It certainly was not the steady wind of Mille Lacs. If you get stuck in sub- standard wind conditions, these flat kites certainly, can make things more enjoyable.

Also Steve, add that 4th knot on you rear lines about 3 - 4" above the last one. I use that knot all the time in light - medium winds, works great, just let the kite breath a little on the upstroke if you have to sine it.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Tom, I read about this 4th knot, don't you find it really slows the kite down?. I'm not even using the inner knot with 3 knots as there is a significant slowing down of the kite. I can see where letting it breath on the up stroke would help but don't you find it forces the kite too far back in the window?
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

I use that power for planning, boosting & turning hard. After I get my board speed up my bar is out 2 - 3" at the least and I end up with it out past the Override ball during gusts. If the bar is out 2 - 3" that's 4 -6" at the pigtail, so your still essentially riding on the 2nd or 3rd knot after you get your speed up.

Yes, there is a price to pay but you have the power when you need it. I guess I am using that last inch or 2 of sheeting action in moderation. I was launching from a bit of a wind shadow yesterday, and I just couldn't get out that first 500' until I put the rear lines on that 4th knot.

Basically, I'm rigging my pigtails for the lulls - 7 - 9mph. And sheeting way out for the gusts. If it was straight 20 - 25 I'd be on the 1st or 2nd knot. Yesterday in the late afternoon the wind was really variable due to some small storm cells passing to my South, it was totally ridiculous.
ChristianS.

Post by ChristianS. »

Tom, I have had my x-bow 16 for 3 weekends and it is everything it is ment to be. I have been out in conditions I would not have been able to go out in. Gusty westerly winds, launching on the east side of Cedar Lake, WI :shock: I run my back lines on the center knot, but I am 40 lbs lighter than Steve at 195 lbs ( Sorry Steve ). Yesterday, I was out for 3.5 hour straight, and was never overpowered. I am not an expert kiter, but this one has taken my skill up a notch due to the power control. And when you jump in 25 knots with the kite depowered and pull the handle down for full power, goodbuy mother earth.
I had the best kiting of my 3 year kite life yesterday on my x-bow. Three weekends with one kite, not four in the back of the car :D

It will be interesting to see what other kite manufacturers come up with in this area. I am sure many have flat designs coming out soon, and they may even be better.
Christian
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Christian,

Sounds like were all having a blast on our Xbows. The Xbows and the Raps have definitly allowed me to improve my skills at a faster rate. It has been my best season by far.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Hey Tom, I'm going to get a chance to ride the Xbow this weekend in Michigan. So, I'll have to give you some shit when I get back.

I certainly can *not* admit to liking anything about the Xbow at this point... :-P heh.

-Coach
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

Ok so I've been reading reviews like this all over the web. For awhile I thought maybe they were a new marketing approach, give a discount if the person wrote a positive review or something like that. The reviews just seemed too good and more thorough than I had read on any other kite before...something seemed not right. I guess I figured it out... people really like these kites. I know most of the local riders who are raving about these personally and think their reviews are genuine.

I'm still not certain they are for everyone or whether they will make all other kites obsolete, but clearly they are a very exciting option.
Tighe
Coach

Post by Coach »

Oh oh - let the backpedaling begin...

:-D

-Coach
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Aparently Cabrinha is staking there entire future on the Bow kites and bailing on C-kites, if I read this post correctly from Neil Pryde Maui. Kevin is the site admin at the Cabrinha forum. I've read 2 posts from Kevin to this effect.
NP Maui wrote:Aloha,

Don't believe it. Cabrinha has nothing but Bow kites in development now.

Best regards, Kevin
Hunter Welles

Post by Hunter Welles »

Tom L wrote: I had to stay local and had 2 great days on Tonka.
Hey Tom where do you kite from on tonka? And what wind directions does it work for? I live right by wayzata bay and kiting on tonka would be awesome.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Hey Hunter,

I launch from my neighbors property 2 houses down which sits on the point on the N side of Carman Bay. Our yards ar all connected so I can inflate in my yard and carry my kite over to his yard and drift launch from his shore line. He has about 200' ft of lake shore, with his dock on the upwind side. And it's shallow for about 75'. So I am super lucky that everything lines up perfectly to allow a self drift launch.

It only works for E to S so I can kite 1/4 of the compass. I have a 1.3 mile fetch on E and a 1.75m fetch on a S. So it's not anything great, but I'm still having a blast. It never worked well until I got my Xbow as the wind is gusty & variable, plus they are easy to self launch in very light winds. I use 145 or a 159 board, anything smaller and you might not get back if the wind goes down too far.

I actually have had a great time with the boaters. I've launched some great air off of boat wakes, and some of the boaters are totally fascinated, hanging around for up to 1/2 hour to spectate.

So....sorry, Hunter it's really not a place that would be open to the public. I don't want to wear out my welcome dragging 16m kites through my neighbors yards. I finally got his dog to quit barking at my kite.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Coach..knowing you as I think I do, a man who likes the finer things...you might as well just send your money to NP now and be done with it.
Monday I was riding toeside and using the power adjustment of the kite to vary my angle to the water,if I wanted to get lower I pushed the bar away until my body was the height I wanted it and then powered the kite again. I was goofing all the way across the lake on a 16m and never lost my edge once in 25mph gusts. Transitions you could spin a 360 and vary the height by how much you sheeted in. The on /off character of the kite opens windows for play I don't think a C kite could provide. I was playing on waves carving straight downwind and the kite just waited for me to tell it what to do. 16m in 25mph and I had no body drags, no butt braking and I didn't lose my edge once. The thing even makes me look good...enuf said.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Well, Steve, the wind looks like crud in Michigan this weekend for KOTGL. So, my only chance to ride the Xbow is to come over and borrow yours! :twisted:

If you don't mind, I'll have to give yours a ride on the next Southerly day on Cedar.

-Coach
ChristianS.

Post by ChristianS. »

Hi Coach

I am going to Italy on business starting Friday and will be back on 9/20. You are welcome to borrow my X-bow 16 to try it out.

Give me a call 952-334-2102
Christian
Coach

Post by Coach »

Christian:

That's awfully generous of you! Thanks! I'll give you a shout before Friday if the wind looks decent in the next few days.

-Coach
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Mark, I am reporting you to Naish if I see you out on that thing :)
steveb

Post by steveb »

Don't worry Coach ,I'll scratch his eyes out! meooow.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

:lol: :lol:
steve where are you rideing this weekend (i want to see this X-bow in action)
Coach

Post by Coach »

LOL Steve! That's hilarious!

"Chic Fight!!!!!!"