In Search Of .... Sideshore on Superior

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JimW

In Search Of .... Sideshore on Superior

Post by JimW »

In the middle of yesterday's wash session (after taking a beating under-rigged) I started to think "why in the bleep am I here right now?" Sure, I re-rigged and managed to get some planing time, but it was one bleep of a beating in the shore-break. My wife commented something like "isn't it extreme conditions that you want?" to which I replied "Yes, but I'd like it to be an extremely fun time too." So today I pondered what the best conditions would be. And the answer is ... sideshore.

The on-shore conditions on Park Point are extreme. Really extreme. Cold wind all broken up by the surf, cold steep waves with hardly any time in between. The next session I am going to sail out at Lester River. I stopped by today to check it out and it should work fine. Good timing will result in good ramps on breaking waves (with side-on wind). Work upwind, ride a breaking wave back to the mouth of the river. Repeat. Or go off shore. I think we've been missing it. What do you think?
Coach

Post by Coach »

The *big* question is if you have a really good out if you break something out there. Can you swim in?

Plenty of guys have sailed sideshore conditions up along that way (Lester, Stony, etc.). The usual complaint is that it can get gusty along the shore and/or there is a wind line - depending on the exact wind angle and the launch.

But, as long as you feel you can safely do it, those spots should work. Most people seem to sail Park Point simply because any breakdown washes them up onto shore. :-)

-Coach
Chris Lock

The lost beach

Post by Chris Lock »

The best time I ever had on Superior was along the south shore near the Brule River. It was back during the heatwave/drought years of the late eighties, and even though it was a Northeaster, it was a toasty warm August day. I remember being in a shorty with a perfect sideshore wind. The swell was wonderfully smooth, the water warm (relatively), and the beach was just like Park Point, lots of sand. Unfortunately, I dont remember exactly where it was, we just turned down a small dirt road and we were there, for all I know it might have been private property. Anyway, it was magic, we sailed on 5.0's all day and then made a giant bonfire with all the driftwood laying around.
That night we ended up camping right there on the beach.
Coach

Post by Coach »

You bring up a good point - the south shore can be really good. The south shore is a bit more of a drive, but much friendlier.

The real advantage of the north shore is the deep channel that runs along that side of the lake. From about 15-20 miles from Duluth on up the shore for something like 100+ miles, there is a deep water area that really helps keep the wave height all the way down to Stony, Lester, and more.

The south shore gets some good waves on a big day, but the north shore is the only place that will hold the *really* big waves on a good NE'er.

-Coach