The Turbo Launcher

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

BSMITH

The Turbo Launcher

Post by BSMITH »

Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Toby....who knows what he's talking about, says the thing actually works.

Wish they had a video clip.

If you happen to be using it for a drift launch you'd need some way to take it with you, and it looks too big for that.
stevegoertz

Post by stevegoertz »

SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

Looks kinda gimicky, I don't quite know why you would need one, you really shouldn't be launching in tight areas anyway.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Last edited by Stroh on Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

There are a couple of good reasons for using one:

Unassisted boat launch
Safer drift launch

If you wind your lines up on this device, it holds the lines exactly in place & order. Meaning you can dis-connect the lines from one kite and attach your lines to another kite without ever having to lay out your lines and checking that they are correctly aligned. This is a huge time saver and at a launch like Waconia laying out your lines can be hassle. As more kiters take to local launches, space will become an issue.

Right now these things are ridiculously priced at $125.00 and no one will buy them. Eventually they will be way cheaper due to China knocking them off for 50 cents. Then you can chuck it on the beach as you launch and away you go.

Everyone said the 5th line was too complex last year, now they are standard or an option on many kite brands.
SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

This is true about the boat launching. Question: I didn't see if he had the lines layed out attached to a kite, how did he keep track of what line was what when he reeled it all in? I would think you would really have to pay attention to what you were doing when rollling this up, just for the fact there is no option to double or triple check you lines once they are rolled onto this thing to make sure you didn't feed the wrong line through the wrong holding slit on the end, just a thought safety ALWAYS first.
SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

I answered my own question by watching the video again, this does actually look like a great idea, you could have this together from home and then just blow the kite up when you get there, hook up and hook in and let the kite drift away without worry of tangle or weeds! Sweet, now that I have had a good look at it it looks pretty easy to make.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Scott,

I think this product will get a lot of people thinking and eventually will lead to some cool new products.

I hate rigging kites, I just like the sailing, it takes too much time, I have 2 kids, time is precious, & I don't like spending time diddling around. So I have a separate bar for each kite that I use regularily. I wind up my lines carefully with kite attached, leave struts 85% inflated, strap the bar to the rolled up kite with shot cord. So I usually never lay out my lines. I usually do a solo 5th line drift launch, which can be pretty quick if you know what your doing.

A device like this lends itself to my style of launching, although I don't think I really need one.

Many times I go to Washington, and I'm alone or only Jerry Sandell is there, so I pretty much have to self launch.

The one drawback is that you never have much opportunity to inspect your lines.

I've also seen guys at Wac, that lay out there lines and connect properly to thier kite very, very quickly, but many times there is too much distraction there for me & I am more prone to get the lines screwed up. To each his own, whatever works for you.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I think you're right Tom this device will lead to some new developments. I see a lot of advantages in this device. But personally right now I like the ritual of attaching lines. The rigging, whether as sail or kite, is part of the passage.

Somehow this new device needs to fit into the experience better. More of a symbol. I think it should make some cool noise. ; ) let everyone know a kite is going up.

I see it in anodyzed alluminium. I don't mountain climb but some of the gear is pretty cool.

Progress is good, right?

Then again, I still find a small stick to use as my downhaul "tool".
Tighe
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

Welcome back Tighe,

Hope the winds were cooperative.

There is a good thread going on about the "Turbolauncher" over at Kiteforum. It is amazing with these message boards, and all the minds at work, knowledge is spread around the world, and dissected, in a matter of hours. 10 years ago it could take years for new ideas to get spread around like this.

http://www.kiteforum.com/index.php?page ... tton=forum