You've gotta see this!

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Woody

You've gotta see this!

Post by Woody »

Vojta 'The Machine' going HUGE!
If those are 30m lines, he has to be close to 100' in the air!!
:shock:

Tighe

Post by Tighe »

That's amazing isn't it.

and
As moderator of this site, I have to strongly discourage this type of activity. The few that are doing this are pro level riders. Stock kite equipment is not designed to withstand the forces involved in activities like this. Equipment can fail.

I don't think I'm at all liable for leaving the photo on Chat. If someone got the idea here and went out and hurt themselves am I liable? If anyone is a lawyer out there and knows about this please inform me.
Tighe
Woody

Post by Woody »

Hey Tighe, lose the picture 'just in case' and re-direct to my web site if you like.

http://www.windsurfwoody.ca/archives/20 ... iting.html

Woody
dave t

Post by dave t »

is that some kind of parasailing type rig pulling him? It looks like he's on a harness / towline.

I'm kind of surprised you can't see his balls in the picture. They must be big enough.
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

I don't mind going for an arenaline rush on occassion, but this is just plain crazy. If a line breaks, we are talking paralysis or death. Life is just too short and precious for this kind of stuff.
bmr

Post by bmr »

Whoa! I first saw this in a kitesurfing video filmed at Kite Beach, in Mauii and thought it was crazy to do (and the riders were over water!!!)......but this is just friggin' insane!!!!!!

:shock: :shock: :shock: Hats off to ya Vojta, my palms sweat just looking at the picture!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

~ BMR
Have kite, will travel.
SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

I don't want to bad mouth anyone but this has got to be the most stupid thing I have even heard of anyone doing!!! It's one thing to do this over water, but a frozen lake, looks cool up until something happens and someone dies, no hats off to this, it's just beyond comprehention? I don't know if Vojta has a family, if he does maybe he should think about that for a few minutes.
Hunter Welles

Post by Hunter Welles »

Yes that is wreckless, yes that is crazy, but that is still plain out amazing and all that I can say is wow. And what is that line behind him, is that a tow line?
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Yeah Baby! That must be Nick pulling him up with the truck.
It's too bad you even have to think about liability tighe. Why can't everyone just be resposible for thier own actions! There are too many lawers.
Dave Z

Post by Dave Z »

Nevermind lawyers and liabililty. Remember the little kite-towing incident ON WATER in Islamorada, FL.....

http://www.kiteflix.com/wipeout.html
SCOTT RIDOUT

Post by SCOTT RIDOUT »

I would not have expected everyone being as safety minded as we are, to be amazed at something like this, it's kinda disappointing.
BSMITH

Post by BSMITH »

Some people need to keep pushing the envelope or thier brain turns to mush. All the boys surfing Jaws have family. Evil K. had a family.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Let's not forget we had a top local rider take a fall from 20' earlier this week *without* getting towed up. He was knocked out cold for a few minutes, doesn't remember anything before or after the incident, and probably broke/tore/sprained a whole bunch of stuff. Oh yeah, he spit/snorted up a bunch of blood, too - and was wearing a helmet.

Although the chances of your line breaking during this kind of event are somewhat slim, it only takes one... Why do you think they build so much redundancy into parachuting and paragliding gear?

Something tells me that someone we know will be up for a Darwin award soon...

-Coach
Mike W

Post by Mike W »

Yikes!
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Vojta,
Pretty amazing but dude, if you're reading this, take up something safer
like hanggliding or paragliding if you want the big air. Don't die man,
we like you.
dave t

Post by dave t »

I think the finger pointing is maybe at the wrong person. All kiters are straping into something that can and, likely, will spank us pretty hard at some point.

To go off on Vojta about safety isn't really anyones right or responsibility. It's like the guy doing backflips on a MX bike telling the guy doing double backflips that he's nuts? Everyone knows that it takes quite a bit to get that guys adrenaline going and I would hope he has a pretty good handle on the risks he takes.

The person who really should think about what they are doing is the one at the other end of the string. Without a driver, there is no tow-in kiting.

Let Vojta be Vojta but next time he's after a fix and says "I've got a cool idea! Drive this truck for me!" just say no...... friends don't let friends fall from 100 ft to the ice.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I've been struggling with the decision of whether or not to pull this post or not. I think the viewpoints, concerns, and advice are valuable. We are all responsible for our own actions, and I personally will always offer my perspective if I feel it might affect someones decision. Maybe it's just my way of covering my butt if something does happen. My motivations change if their actions could effect me. Like kitesurfing Calhoun, one accident there and we could get shut down around the state.

Ride on
Tighe
Coach

Post by Coach »

There is no reason to pull the post. I think we're pounding this subject to death.

The Bottom Line:

For those crazy enough to tow-up on a kite, your Darwin Award is waiting. For those who saw the picture and thought, "cool!" - you have received more leveled-headed opinions.

People - just don't do anything that is going to ruin things for the rest of us - after that you can beat yourself silly.

-Coach
bmr

Post by bmr »

Coach wrote:
People - just don't do anything that is going to ruin things for the rest of us - after that you can beat yourself silly.

-Coach
I couldn't agree more!

(sidenote) You're famous, Coach! I think I saw you on MnSnow TV last weekend. YO! 8)
Have kite, will travel.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Famous? Not quite... :-P

That was me on the Snow Show, though - I was helping run a charity ski event down at Welch with A.J. Kitt, for Courage Alpine Skiers. Lot's of fun, but fricken' cold out. :-)

-Coach