Madeline Island

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Dave Schneider

Madeline Island

Post by Dave Schneider »

Anyone have any info on windsurfing at Madeline Island? I'm heading up there for a long weekend July 23rd and I'm wondering what the conditions might be like. I presume I'll need my dry suit. Anyone out there ever sailed the Archipelago? Good places to launch, etc.
Dave Schneider
steveb

Post by steveb »

There used to be a regular race up there every year, I think mike fox is trying to arrange one again this year. If the wind is in the right direction it can be great with big rolling swells but.... you called it when you said you're taking your drysuit.....brrrrrrr.
aransavage

Madeline Island

Post by aransavage »

I was just up there with my wife and son over Memorial Day weekend. Camped at Big Bay State Park, which has a beautiful long sandy beach, but it's heading almost due east so I'm not sure if it's a usable launch. There seem to be plenty of places to put in, but mostly a rocky coast, we didn't see all of the northern side of the island though. And all the outfitters are in Bayfield, but Lapointe is an awesome little town with a real hippy flavor. Totally cool.

Andrew
SteveJ

Post by SteveJ »

The Fleet 8 event is July 17th and 18th. I am going up for the 1st time this year so don't have any personal experience about sailing there to share but those who have been before say it is a great event. The sailing for the event takes place near the marina and ferry landing. Maybe you can start your trip a week earlier.
jimf

bayfield/Madeline

Post by jimf »

I grew up in Bayfield so I sail up there quite often. In fact last weekend. The water temp in the bay is cool, I was fine in my 3/5 steamer. By August it is swimmable in board shorts or a shorty. I quite often snorkel in the caves. The Bay has quite a different water temp than the open waters or the north shore.

As far as launches on the main land there are two that I use quite often. 1st one is south of town on highway 13. Turn on Bayview Road. Take the 1st right and your at the beach 2 mile + beach. Works well on Northeast east or south winds.

If its blowing anything west or north I hit Little sand bay. Its a state park caters to alot of Kayakers. Its North of town on County road K. There are signs along the way that you can't miss. It has a great grassy area for rigging and again beach launch. It also has a small campground which I sometimes use.

I haven't sailed on the island, so I don't have much info.

Hope this helps if anyone has questions you can email me at farrell31@msn.com.

Jim
Chris Lock

Post by Chris Lock »

Madeline is way cool! I sailed there a few of years ago, we camped at Big Bay and I got a session in there on an easterly, beautiful long sand beach and shallow water. I also sailed on the west side from a little beach just north of town on a southerly wind. Its right next to the breakwater where the ferries dock, so it was choppy till I got out past that, where there was some nice swell to be had. I think we were there in late July or August and I was in shorts or a shorty if I remember right, might be a little chillier now. Make sure to go to Toms Burnt Down Cafe in La Pointe if its still there, its just a big rustic wooden deck, open on the sides with a circus like tent over the top for a roof and wood burning stoves all around for keeping warm. The bar is a cube van backed into the middle of it, with coolers inside loaded with just about any kind of beer you can think of. The decor out front is made up of rusted metal sculptures that look like something out of a Tim Burton movie. Altogether weird, funky, cool. There always seemed to be an eclectic mixture of clientele around and they had live entertainment when we were there. That was maybe four or five years ago, hope they are still around, let me know. Have fun!
dave t

Post by dave t »

I don't know how accurate this is but it gives surface temps for superior.

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/rsch/glcfs/nws/sswt-00.html

I haven't had the chance to windsurf the apostles but i have been sailing on a big boat there and i thhink i would be pretty cool.

i know the bay chris sailed and thought it looked good for a windsurf launch.

i've seen guys sail from the park playground area by the bayfield marina but it is a rock breakwater so not too friendly to your gear if you slip. it is pretty exposed though. kind of a point.
Chip

Post by Chip »

no you won't need a dry suit that late, conditions will be variable, from all directions - madeline - launch from the public beach in LaPoint or from big bay campground. The islannds make for quite varible wind without a strong weather system.. - ps - running down long island from madeline in a northeaster would be a blast although I have never done it..
Woody

Post by Woody »

Me, my wife, and maybe a few friends will be heading to Madeline Island for the regatta next weekend.
Hope to see some familiar faces around :D :shock: :P :twisted: 8) :)

Woody

PS. Anybody need some chilli ??