Worthington Regatta - Best Route

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

adamel111

Worthington Regatta - Best Route

Post by adamel111 »

What is the best route to take to Worthington from Minneapolis? Last year I drove from the airport and took 35 to 90 and seem to remember it taking me around 3 hours. However, I used map quest and it looks like you can take state highways for a shorter route (through mankato). Any opinions as to taking the 35/90 (faster speed) vs state highway (shorter route)?
Adam Anderson
bill keitel

Post by bill keitel »

Adam,
the mankato route is a bit shorter (15 minutes?) there is a bit of single lane road but either route gets you here. Things are tumbling into place and we've got some serious evening entertainment scheduled after a day on the water.
We look forward to your arrival.
bk
Dave Schneider

Post by Dave Schneider »

If you go throught Mankato, pay attention to the speed limits as the road goes from two lanes down to one. I found out the hard way that it goes from 65 down to 55. :x
Dave Schneider
Coach

Post by Coach »

I've always taken the 35-90 route to Worthington, which is probably faster than 169. But, I think I'm going to try 169 for the first time this year - I hear it's a much prettier drive. 35-90 is so incredibly dull and mundane...

-Coach
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

I went 169 last year and it was definitely a much more scenic route than
I90, but it took me forever to get out of the twin cities area.
Once out it was nice tho.. took about 4 hours from Shoreview.
adamel111

Post by adamel111 »

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards the 35/90 route because I tend to drive a bit faster which has unfortunately left me with two recent speeding tickets.
Adam Anderson
Coach

Post by Coach »

Two tickets? Right there should be your hint from above to go through Mankato and take it sssllloooowwww.... :-)

I have a lead-foot, too, but my VW van has mostly forced me to take it easier these days.

-Coach