AZ Report

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

pat taylor

AZ Report

Post by pat taylor »

I sailed Pleasent Lake both Friday and Saturday. I stayed over night in my van. Friday was pretty light, but it was good to be out on the water in the 80's with a water temp. of about 65 to 70. The sailors sail off of a peninsula on the south shore no matter what the wind direction. So I kept sailing past the peninsula with the south off shore wind. It took a while to get used to sailing off shore wind. Once in a while, there would be some west in it, and then I would pinch in towards the peninsula to get back. Saturday it started out light again, but picked up to 20 to 30 from the south. The drive from my home is 50 miles to Lake Pleasent. It is a nice place to stay, so I do not mind staying over nighth, if wind is predicated for both days. I unload all of my gear on the peninsula, and camp right where I sail. It is a little strange getting used to a new home and community. But I met a bunch of the sailors, and like all windsurfers, they are a pretty friendly bunch. I miss the gang at Da Bear. But I look at the chat line every day, to keep me in touch. Another nice thing thing about Lake Pleasent, is it is a huge body of water, and no weeds. The runs seem to go on forever. There are breezy conditions predicated for Wed. and Thurs. So If I go I will post my adventures. Anyone going to the Phoenix area, give me a call and maybe you will be able to a sesh in on Lake Pleasent.
steveb

Post by steveb »

Pat, great to hear from you.
How are the local boardheads, are they a friendly bunch or did you scare them.
Randy

Good to hear from you.

Post by Randy »

Hey Pat,
Glad to hear you're still getting wet, that you made it down safely and are starting to plant some new roots. Give my regards to Robin and know your presence was missed this last Sunday for our mega opener. We'll definitely drop by whenever we're in your part of the country. Aloha, Randy
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Hey Pat,

I tried to kitesurf at lake pleasent in January 2003. The wind did not cooperate when I was there. My folks have a place in Sun City, so lodging is not a problem. It looks like a great place to kite with all the little finger bays. The water level was low when I was there. As I hear it is in the winter. Do you have a link to the local wind web site?

I have a few photos of the lake I could post.

Have you figured out the wind stobe lights on the ridge? I think they blink faster when the wind reaches 20 knots. I think there are 3 or four of them.
Scott
pat taylor

Post by pat taylor »

To get the Az site, just go on search Arizona Windsurfing. It will come up. It is similiar to the Minnesota site, but there is not nearly as much chat. I sailed Lake Pleasent today. I went out when it was blowing out of the south, which is off shore. The wind switched to the west and caught me down wind. I had to beach at the boat ramp, and walk back to my car and derig at the boat ramp. The locals told me the wind is best in the early morning and late afternoon. There was one kitter there today. He ran into trouble and his kite got loose. It was going down wind,, and he was running to get his car and chase it, when I said get one of those jet skiers sitting on shore to chase the kite down for you. He did that, and was able to retrive his kite. If one runs into trouble on Lake Pleasent with a kite it is a long way down that lake. Maybe in 20 years or so I will learn how to sail Lake Pleasent. I had to give up on the Bear. I never could master the Bear. Pat the tan man, down in Az.