yesterday on northern Lake Michigan...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Bill S.

yesterday on northern Lake Michigan...

Post by Bill S. »

80 degrees, 70 degree blue-green fresh water, no clouds, bright sun, fan-steady SW 23 knots (26 mph) and 4-6' perfectly shaped and glassy smooth waves to the horizon!

After kiting all summer I went windsurfing for the first time. Rigged an Ezzy Wave 5.5 and Mistral Score 85l board. No neoprene, just board shorts and a waist harness.

OMG, I had completely forgotten how awesome powered-up windsurfing is on big water and waves and how much I love the sport!

The wind was so steady and waves so clean you could catch an offshore roller and ride it for miles, carving endlessly up-and-down the face before jibing in a deep trough and then flying off the same rollers on the way back in.

Closer to shore, the waves were fully surf-able as they jacked up outside a sandbar. In the wind riding life there are few things more sweet to me that windsurfing unhooked in big waves; de-powering the sail on the face to carve it up; sheeting in to rip long drawn-out bottom turns; flying (and crashing) off the lips on the way out, tipping the board at the apex of the jump to catch a little extra air...

The wind gods smiled up here yesterday. Namaste.
Pete

Re: yesterday on northern Lake Michigan...

Post by Pete »

Nice! Sounds awesome!
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

What a "Swell" story! Thank you. (Mahalo)!

Quetzalcoatl is in awe... of this sail tale.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Bill S. wrote:80 degrees, 70 degree blue-green fresh water, no clouds, bright sun, fan-steady SW 23 knots (26 mph) and 4-6' perfectly shaped and glassy smooth waves to the horizon!...
Thanks for the Stoke Bill!

-eric
jvpaint

Post by jvpaint »

Just read this thread, sounds like you’ve found a sweet spot on Lake Michigan.
Curious minds want to know where this is???
How far is the drive from MSP?