Cleaned the fin off my board...

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Pete

Cleaned the fin off my board...

Post by Pete »

Saw the debris a second too late, no time get the tail out of the water. Just a branch appearing to be the size of an adult forearm in diameter. It won the wrestling match in a split second as I flew over the handlebars. Solid impact...my one and only fin for the Bic Techno was laid to rest in front of the Dairy Queen on Lake Pepin. Finbox still intact, bonus.

The wind is was well beyond expected velocity this past Friday, rigged the smallest stuff I had brought. 6.0 Wave Panther at it's high wind setting and 150 ltr. Bic Techno. So now, dead in the water, I had a challenging 300 some yards, dead down wind, finless, finesse filled ballet show on a fat board to get back to The Point in heavy wind. Took awhile but I made it in due time. Surprisingly, never got worn out and in the end was still full of energy, surprising for a smoker. Was nice to get some exercise. Longest stretch I rode was at the end...probably 20-30 yards. Quite the reckless ride with a never ending series of clearing the sail. There is an art to saying up on a finless board and making ground. Kind of fun but not recommended. 1/2 hr after getting back to shore the wind backed off a ton.

Sounds like one of our local boarder hoarders may hook me up with a replacement fin.

Looking forward to a debris(less) Lake Pepin.

Pete
Professor Robae'

Re: Cleaned the fin off my board...

Post by Professor Robae' »

Good story Pete! How is the Spoon board treating you?
One trick I have done when losing one's fin: Strap your harness around the tail of the board. It provides some resistance and makes your sail back in a bit less than a Full on Hula dance! ;)
Pete

Post by Pete »

The Spoon board looks great on its own rack in the garage. Have yet to ride it. Going to need some real wind to put that into the sky! Bic Techno...aka...Fat Ass has too much surface area to accommodate the harness trick. I have used that trick previously on a narrower board and it did work great. Like everyone else, hoping for some nuking fall wind. Then, I can give the Cascade Spoon the ride it is longing for.
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Yeah! Now that's a story!!!!

Eric (aka: Quetzalcoatl)