What color is your helmet?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

It's really essential to wear a helmet when Kiteboarding or Windsurfing.

A helmet is even more important than a lifejacket (at least with windsurfing since a windsurfer is your buoyancy
protection should you need it). You can never predict when a "Rogue" gust of wind might throw your head into
the mast (while windsurfing) or smack your head somewhere while kiteboarding. Getting knocked out is almost the only way Windsurfers die (a few heart attacks too). But the rare windsurfer found dead usually has no helmet on the head.
Phillip Money (owner of South Padre Island Kiteboarding and Windsurfing) practices what he preaches. When you see him
floating down from a cloud after getting lifted 40 ft. into the air while kiteboarding, you see this little white helmet
on this superstar athlete. He's not embarrassed to wear it.
I've had some pretty hard hits on my nogen,,yet I always knew that I'd be O.K. because I had my yellow helmet on.
I bought my water helmet for 35 bucks and at most watersport shops they are still pretty cheap. You can wear your
bicycle helmet too,,,but some people say the cushion material in a bicycle helmet is not as water resistant as a watersport helmet.
Pete

Re: What color is your helmet?

Post by Pete »

"You can never predict when a "Rogue" gust of wind might throw your head into
the mast." Umm...I'm going to say this has never ever happened and never ever will. Please rephrase what you meant to get across to your viewers.

My helmet is white and speckled blood stains.
JimPat

Post by JimPat »

Pete -never say "never". :)
Jim & Patty
RV Team Riders
Waconia, SPI, Hood River
952-457-8939
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

It happened to me! my head slammed into the mast (while still attached to my torso)and..... It got better... it still hurt....big impact with 30 mph gust but helmut was on head.

What I mean is....if you get catapulted...sometimes ya might get twisted (turned around) and the head smashes in to the mast,,or the board.

A helmut can be the difference tween feeling a little buzz or getting "knocked out" and then drowned.

NO..my head didn't come off and hit the mast....even today it's still attached to my body.

Safe Journey.
Quetzalcoatl (el serpiente emplumado)....feathered serpeant
Schmidty721

Post by Schmidty721 »

Bright Orange.

As a newbie windsurfer, I bought a helmet almost immediately after getting interested in the sport last fall. After a few catapults on my first day out sailing in the harness on strong winds, I new it was a necessary item to have, especially as I am out there by myself most days.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks for the clarification Quetzalcoatl. I was envisioning wind loving folk out on the water just struggling to keep their heads up due to neck muscles slightly more robust than a slinky. Most of my mast hits have come from above while clearing the sail in generous winds. Love hearing the "tink" of the helmet when that happens.
Micahmo80

Post by Micahmo80 »

My helmet is black... Black matches everything.

The whole helmet topic is not to be taken too lightly. I can speak first hand of the injuries that can and do occur. As a rookie, I went too big too fast and used a 16m on a day I had no business be on anything larger than a 12m. Due mostly to my inexperience and not being able to read the wind, I was catapulted off my board straight downwind and hit the water hard on Mille Lacs. I was quite lucky though. As I crashed, my kite went up to 12 o'clock and stayed there a few seconds while I regained my senses and I was able to put the kite down. I suffered a mild concussion and a blown ear drum, but it could have been WAY worse had my kite stayed low and drug me into the hungry trees on shore. A helmet may not have saved my eardrum, but I wouldn't have got the concussion that ended my riding season. My helmet is always on. Plus, where else am I going to put my camera? If you are worried about a fashion statement, put some flames on your helmet or Dora the Explorer stickers. Stay safe everybody!