Trip to Skyline Anyone?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Stroh

Trip to Skyline Anyone?

Post by Stroh »

I'm taking some vacation days the last week of January... and decided on Skyline. I leave on January 23rd and I'm out there until the 28th.

Any other Minnesotans going to be out there... Or want to go let me know. I have to be at a conference on the 29th otherwise I would stay longer. I have purchased my airfare and reserved a room at the Skyline Motel (currently single queen but could switch to double queens if do soon).

Hoping to find someone to split the cost of the car and motel...
Jon Stroh
jyetley

Re: Trip to Skyline Anyone?

Post by jyetley »

Hello Jon, I too have been planning a trip to Skyline in January. It's the best place I've found in UT, WY, MT or ID for consist winds (almost always blows at 12,000 ft) and accessibility to endless terrain (hwy to parking lot at elevation). Couldn't ask for more! Short drive to town.

I've stayed at the Skyline motor-motel before and it is ok, if you're traveling by yourself, but I'd recommend going 5 miles down the road to the Horseshoe Mountain Lodge, if you plan to share a room. Continental breakfast, free WiFi, and washer/dryer included.

http://www.horseshoemountainlodge.com/location

You'll be driving to Mount Pleasant anyway to shop at the grocery store, eat at one of the few restaurants, and visit the one and only bar within 50 miles!

I plan to drive my minivan with Yakima box thru SLC and will carry gear for anyone who wants to GLIDE! I'd prefer to drive alone in order to eliminate conflicting schedules and allow myself time to explore on the way home. Message me through Facebook, if you'd like to work out the details; one and all.

Thanks,
Jason Yetley
507-421-ten-ninety-two
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

Jason and one other local kiter are going to drive out for this trip... looking for one more to fly out and share a rental car & hotel room. Round trip flight $450 and 1/2 of the hotel and rental car about $350... so looking at around $800 total for a 5 day trip to skyline!
Jon Stroh
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Anyone set a date yet? I find out Monday or Tuesday about my work schedule and could be free now, or half way through the month.

Definetly driving myself and for the same reason. Though I am already doing some exploring.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

I will be there from 1pm on January 23rd to 8pm on the 28th... Jason was planning on the same time frame.
Jon Stroh
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

Here at Skyline now. Snow is pretty packed and rough from snowmobiles. Kited a SE today alone and it was good except for the bumps. Almost not enough to catch your lines and you can punch through when you walk on it, but no need for snowshoes. Looking forward toward another 6 inches that is going to start falling now with a SE wind. Should make some nice features for North wind.

I should be here for a few days.

Update 1 (2/5/15): Going on day 8 of kiting. Tons of softish snow to be found away from the popular areas. Just go 1 kite size too big and you can kite lower. All of the "Pits of Sarlacc" are sweet to get into and out of.

Temp is always 10 degrees less than forecasted. No real melting going on so far. And with 3 ft of snow, it would take a while anyway.