ice screw

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

steveb

ice screw

Post by steveb »

I've seen that some of you guys anchor your kite to the ice, for a breather etc.
What is the gizmo you use and where do you get them.?n have a great xmas all ansd pray for wind while we have a few days off.

Eric . I want to try to get together with you for your knowlledge with the mossy bridle change, any ideas where I could find you in the near future?
cp2616

Post by cp2616 »

I'm cheap so I bought some big lag bolts, washers, and stainless steel rings at the hardware store. I have to pre-drill holes with my cordless drill first but they are handy if you are going to be out all day and < a $5.00 investment. I think those self tapping ice screws are spendy.

Casey
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Another cheap solution is to forget the screws & drilling.

I bought a couple of BIG 12" nails at Home Depot. I hammer them about 8" into the ice at a slight upwind angle. It's quick and cheap. By the time your get ready to go, it'll be so frozen in you can't pull it out... but just give it another whack to drive it farther & then pull - it'll come right out.
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

REI has ice screws, designed for climbers for $12 thu $70. I bought the cheap one and told myself never to use it to hand my body from on the side of the mountain.

The Store on 494 has them sometimes. Easier to order them online.
Tighe
Chuck G.

Post by Chuck G. »

I purchased a couple ice screws used for holding down portable ice houses from Cabela's. You just twist/screw them into the ice by hand. Not hard to do. They cost about $4.00 ea. and work great!

Chuck G
steveb

Post by steveb »

Thanks for the replys. I love how you all have found solutions, saves me thinking!.
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

Sounds like the guys have the ice screw thing covered! Send me an email when you would like to get together. The next week is looking good. Generally I work wed-thurs but I think next thurs I have off because of the holiday.
Jim N

Bent Brain

Post by Jim N »

Am I the only one who chuckled when the terms "ice" & "screw" are used together? Heard a story, supposedly true , in which a young couple- desperate for a tryst, purchased a portable ice house, set it up on the ice , did their "thing," then promptly left. Never used their auger, but did do some drilling!! :lol:
Eric S

Post by Eric S »

No, you are not the only one that laughed.

BTW, do you know where I can get a cheap ice shelter? Lightly used?
steveb

ice screws

Post by steveb »

Thanks for all the helpful replies.
When it come to ice screws I've always had trouble that the usa is not metric yet, I've always been a left hand thread and I keep meeting right hand thread floosies.
I f Nancy reads this I'm just joking honey..... honest!.
Portland Pete

Post by Portland Pete »

This is the cheapest Ice screw on the REI webpage ($12.50).
Anyone using ice screws with success for a temporary anchor ?
For instance, I am out cruising a mile from home, want to shed a
layer of clothing and need to stop and put my kite down.

Just curious how this would device
would work for a quick change.
Do I need to carry a hammer to get it started ?
Pete

JERRY

Post by JERRY »

I've tried all of the above and the REI screw that PP shows works the best. I keep one on my sled to carry gear and also carry another with me fastened above the spreader bar. The guard used to protect very sharp points is made from 3/4" rigid conduit cut just 1/4" longer then the screw. This will keep the ice-screw from poking into clothing and vital body parts. Use a length of 3/16" elastic bongie cord to keep it from falling out of guard.

jerry
rudeboysaude

Post by rudeboysaude »

I have that screw and it works ok, but if you spend fat cash and get a Black Diamond Turbo ice screw you'll like it alot more. I can put that screw in with one hand as it's made for alpine climbing and is a performance screw. I think the one screw cost me 50 bucks and I almost lost it once last year. I nearly cried. So in that sense, the REI ones get the job done too.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

A good cover for ice screw tips are the rubber caps they sell at the hardware store for the legs on chairs. Bring your screw into the hardware store and size one that fits snug. I always carry one when I kite, and the rubber cap keeps it from tearing up your clothing.

If you are on ice without much snow, heavy wind, they are a must. I've been on skis on light snow, had a binding relaease, and without the screw I would have been unable to get to my ski that fell off. Iget mine at REI too.
steveb

re ice screw

Post by steveb »

I originally made this post in dec 2003 , anyone know how it came to the surface again?
I just had a flash back that made me feel as though I had lost the whole year.
For the record I got some of the rei ice screws and they do work great.
Portland Pete

Post by Portland Pete »

Steve
I resurrected your post, why start a new one
with all this good info from last year.

I was hoping an ice screw would fit in my christmas stocking
this year. But I wanted to make sure I got the right one.

$50 seems like alot for a screw I will probably lose.
So I am glad to hear that the cheap ones work just fine.

Good input on the rubber caps for the sharp tip.
Thanks to everyone, I think I am set on the cheaper REI unit.
Portland Pete
steveb

Post by steveb »

Pete, another place you can look is Sierra trading post, they seem to get some of the same design occasionally, I've seen them for $15 .Just in case Rei doesn't pan out.
dave t

Post by dave t »

To help keep from loosing the screw, I have an old windsock that I clip to the eye. Leaving gear by the screw works until it blows away. That might not be a big deal on snow, but once on the bare ice, my bag blew about 100 yards downwind. I had a pretty good idea where the screw was but it still took some looking to find it.
Tom L

Post by Tom L »

I use orange flourescent vinyl tape (found it at the hardware store near the police tape). Tie 2' to 4' feet on to your screw if you intend to leave it in the ice/snow for any length of time. Often, blowing snow will cover your screw. The tape flutters in the wind, doesn't get covered up, and takes up no room in your pocket. I keep a roll in my gear bag.
Coach

Post by Coach »

Everytime I see the title for this thread title in the forum I keep thinking it's going to be messages about naughty Minnesotans' winter activities...

-Coach