Windy thoughts

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

MK

Windy thoughts

Post by MK »

I had my morning ritual of looking at the wind and developing the daily strategy which precipitates from the forecast. A few student inquiries were graciously and optimistically poised to participate. The forecast has shown to be weak for several days but as time has proven: some of my best kite days were on forecasted predictions of 5mph. The lesson of always being ready has proven to be the rule of thumb for the wind driven pursuits.

I did a reference this morning of four wind forecast models and came up with this action plan for the students:

I referenced 4 sources and placed them in this order below: Windfinder, WindAlert, Lakawa/Wind (NOAA), Wind Guru. They have an afternoon wind prediction ranging from 6-10mph. I'm usually eager to just show up and give it a shot but given the August winds are usually less powerful I'm inclined to believe we won't have enough to make it happen today. If this was July or September I would maybe choose differently, get out the big kites and boards, and lobby to give it a shot. This all being said it's just a forecast we're dealing with and it can be wrong.
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.44.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.44.19 AM.png (44.12 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.43.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.43.21 AM.png (27.86 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.42.32 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.42.32 AM.png (254.76 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.41.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-17 at 9.41.54 AM.png (173.39 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
The wind may blow enough occasionally through the day but given the forecast it will likely be difficult to be ready outside of simply waiting for the wind. That isn't always bad either and the down time can be welcoming. I prefer these types of opportunities on my surfaris when we have all day every day but I do think time will be better spent today doing other things.

Just sharing a moment in my time.
MK

Re: Windy thoughts

Post by MK »

With all this said I'm still packing my big kite and big board, just in case :D
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

I'm willing to make the low winds work, so all is not wasted. If the lake stays calm and the raindrops quit, I'll head to the lake with my daughters and my youngest to work on her barefooting skills. So, even if you are not getting wind enough for lessons, someone is doing all they can to make lemonaid from your lemons.
Stroh

Post by Stroh »

You forgot the two most accurate and easiest to read... they also make it easy to find the best location for wind... RUC and RAP.
Jon Stroh
MK

Post by MK »

Would you kite today?