Lake Waconia

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

steve erickson

Lake Waconia

Post by steve erickson »

does anyone know if the ice is out on Waconia yet?
fabrino

Re: Lake Waconia

Post by fabrino »

yes, I am also curious about Waconia, as the wind this afternoon look good,
but I do not want to drive all the way just to find ice.. :D

I am also looking at the medicine lake webcam and it looks there still quite a bot of ice there...
really hoping to score a mn liquid sesh soon!
surfalex

Post by surfalex »

I just flew over it. not yet.. still 90% covered in ice. looks thin though.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (921.53 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
Jason_L

Post by Jason_L »

Wow! A Fly-Over Report. It doesn't get much better than that :D Thanks! I'm guessing by this weekend it will be open.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Hey Alex thanks! the photo is really spectacular!!
too bad the wak is not open but on the positive side Medicine seems pretty open now..
I plan to hit south beach around 4.30 today..

ciao
f.
scottchapman

Post by scottchapman »

Official Ice Out was today the 23rd. The Wacky is open for business!
JERRY

Post by JERRY »

So is Washington... :D
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
hobby_man

Post by hobby_man »

so with the ice out when do you start kiteing?
Matt V

Post by Matt V »

35-40 degree F water temp is when I head out. At 33degrees, you just have too much of a chance of ice shards on the lake from the overnight freeze. These can really destroy a kite if they get into the leading edge. After ice is no longer a possibility, then it is game on.

35 to 40 water temp - need a warm sunny day, full dry suit in perfect condition, dry hood, nice thick dive gloves, feet can get a bit cold even with good booties

40 to 50 degree water temp - still need gloves, 5mm suit is good but does not need to be a dry suit if it is a wetsuit in good condition, dry hood is nice on cooler days, wet hood will work if you are sure you will not have to swim (never sure of that), nice to have a warm day but just stay closer to your launch area if it is cooler

above 50 degrees water temp - gloves come off on a warm day, but stay on on a cold day, 4/3 is a minimum in the lower range, but around 60 you start to be able to get to a 3/2 full with a shorty on top THIS IS THE MOST DANGEROUS WATER TEMP IN MY OPINION! deceivingly warm but if you break a line and have an extend stay in the water, you can get hypothermia easily, no you cannot wear a shorty safely below 65 degrees water temp

Colder temps let you know it is cold so you are more cautious. Most people just cannot stand to be exposed to 45 degree water. Warmer water temps (60 degrees) allow the body to cool slowly, and suddenly you have uncontrollable shivers. Then you loose cognitive capabilities and start doing stupid things. Then you drown. Then we split up your gear when it washes into shore.

You can prevent us from splitting up your gear by not going out inexperienced/under-dressed in cold water (or what seems like warm water).
hobby_man

Post by hobby_man »

Great response Matt, just the kind of info I was looking for to sum up the information I have been reading.
I've been kiting for 3 winters now and took some lessons this winter from Lakawa and a few weeks back while in Florida, Fort Meyers, Sanibel Causeway.
We had 78 degree water and 25mph winds for 3 days in a row. I was hooked
I had issues with pointing the board to I did 2 hours at revolution cable park in Fort Meyers to work on my board skills
http://www.revolutioncable.com/
What a great way to learn boarding.

With all this info about the lakes on Lakawa in our area and the do's and don'ts with all the people, boat traffic and docks and we need shallow water, warm water which we do not get until July and such is kite boarding in MN worth the effort/investment?

I live on a lake that is small, 140 acres a lot of dirty wind the lake is land locked with houses but we have an airport to the south and then soccer fields and then the lake so we get some really good winds from the south and a swamp to the east for good winds and corridor to the north west for the winter winds, although very narrow wind windows. Through trial and error I can kite on the lake when the wind is at certain compass headings. The lake may be small and the width angle of the wind window on the ground is small, maybe 20 degrees on some of the compass headings, I have gotten really good at tacking back in a very small corridor of wind.

Thanks for the input