What's a good iPhone app for tracking where you kited?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

KitingKen

What's a good iPhone app for tracking where you kited?

Post by KitingKen »

I've seen a few posts here with nice maps that show the path you took, total miles, average speed, etc. Anyone have a favorite app?

If the wind cooperates Sunday I'm going to try to cross Lake Minnetonka from the boat launch in Phelps bay to Sunsets in Wayzata. Straight shot with NW wind except a portage through the pond around the Narrows bridge. I'd like to see the final map of my journey...and have proof I made it if I do!

Thanks,
Ken
Attachments
Lk Mtk Crossing.jpg
Lk Mtk Crossing.jpg (155.32 KiB) Viewed 5646 times
RandyL

Re: What's a good iPhone app for tracking where you kited?

Post by RandyL »

Mike K has a cool tracking app, shoot him a text for info 612-296-3201
ImageLAKAWA /Local Slingshot Team Rider
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

RandyL wrote:Mike K has a cool tracking app, shoot him a text for info 612-296-3201
I believe that Mike and some other are using Kite Tracker. It is iPhone only though they claim to be working on an Android version.
http://www.kitetracker.com/gps/livemap

Another option is Endomondo which I have downloaded but not tried yet.

I have been using Google's 'My Tracks' on my droid and it seems to work pretty well. I am open to trying anything else that gets a positive review.
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

I've tried Endomondo on my droid and it did not work well. I used it for simple stuff like walking the dog in the neighborhood and it would lose signal a lot. I've switched to My Tracks for my droid and it has been working flawlessly. Even at Afton Alps where there is terrible cell phone signal it works like a champ.

I too am interested in what ones work for iPhone because my kids want to track their boarding/skiing at Afton and in Colorado when we go out there for spring break and they are members of the Dark Side of cell phones.

On a related note, does anyone know of a good GPS/Triathalete watch that would work well for kiting on the water? I've been reading the reviews of the various Garmin watches on Amazon and it seems to be a mixed bag. The Garmin Forerunner 310XT and or 910XT ($$$) seems to come out looking pretty good.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

I had a garmin 205 worked well for many years then broke in two pieces, bought the a newer model of garmin (610 or so)
and it lasted 6 months.. returned to REI and got the SUUNTO ambit 2s.. like it a lot..

-pros
long battery life
looks good so I use it as every day watch
catches the GPS signal ultrafast
very well designed interface and easily customizable (I have different modes, for kiting, running etc etc.)

-cons
pretty expensive (over 300$))

winter kiting
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move24949715

summer kiting
http://www.movescount.com/moves/move19921881

happy to show it to you on the lake anytime..
ciao
f.
KitingKen

Post by KitingKen »

Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded a couple of apps. Then I set out on my Lake Minnetonka crossing per the map above and forgot to hit start on the apps like an idiot! But I did make it from Phelps Bay to Wayzata Bay.

A few extra downwind tacks on the first leg, got a little windblocked getting through to Big Island, but once I got to Big Island I flew across the bay to Kite Island. There were a couple kiters out there. Total trip about 1:45.
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

KitingKen wrote:Then I set out on my Lake Minnetonka crossing per the map above and forgot to hit start on the apps like an idiot!
Bummer. If it makes you feel better, you're not the first one to do that. I did it a week ago - sort of. I started up the app and when it was done it told me how long the ride was. Max/Avg. speed 0. Total distance 0. I forgot to turn on the GPS function on the phone.

I would have liked to see your track. Sounds like a good time.

Mike
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Like like Dixtance. Good resolution. Doesn't kill the battery too bad. Saves a nice track with stats.

Here's a shot of my 38 mile ride on Mille Lacs last winter.
Attachments
ML_Track.PNG
ML_Track.PNG (304.96 KiB) Viewed 5532 times
Futahaguro

Post by Futahaguro »

I'm a Locus Maps Pro user on Android. I use it for skating, kiting, boarding, etc.. Very customizable. But I, like you, sometimes forget to turn it on or I am too excited to get kiting once it is in the air that I don't want to bother starting it. However, Locus Pro has a feature that will only track while moving so I suppose I could turn it on before lift off and I should be good.

I was thinking that a GPS enabled GoPro would be cool. Maybe they have it already and I just haven't searched for it.

--Edit

Yah, I figured I should have searched. Here is just one, http://contour.com/
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

Futahaguro wrote:Yah, I figured I should have searched. Here is just one, http://contour.com/
...or the Garmin VIRB

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/20/garm ... ction-cam/