FRIDAY

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

JERRY

FRIDAY

Post by JERRY »

The polar vortex is taking a break & there will be wind....where to ride?
"The Pessimist complains about the wind; the optomist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." William Arther Ward
Mike B

Re: FRIDAY

Post by Mike B »

I'm thinking about kite Island, but am open to other places. Let me know where you are going. A little terrain exploration also might be fun. I will try to get out about 11:00am.
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

If all goes according to plans I'll be at Calhoun around 10am...ciaoo
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

I'll be hitting White Bear Lake off Mahatomedi Beach sometime around 3 or so if all goes well. I have to play hookie from work first.
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

where is the wind????????
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

MNKite.info.weather says 13-16 on White Bear lake. NOAA says 12 until about 4 pm and then slowly ramping up to 16 by 8 pm. I'm heading out now to WBL and I have nearly my full arsenal of weapons so I should be able to get something to leave the ground. I'll be at Mahatomedi Beach.
Drvermin

Post by Drvermin »

They lied about the wind! I got out on WBL at around 1 and my wind meter said max of 13.9, average of 10.8 so I figured a 12M RPM would be good. Put it up and it was barely enough to get me going and it sure did feel like the wind had died. So I packed that up and pulled out the Turbine. Now things were sweet! It launched like a dream and I got a lot of good back and forth across the ice in. I was not making much headway upwind so I should have thought for a second that maybe things were picking up. After over an hour I was heading back my vehicle and suddenly I was way overpowered. Buzzed across an ice road and had to plow through 3' high snowbanks and by the time I got turned around to cross the road again I had lost a lot downwind distance. Another gust hit me and I was heading too close to shore. I dug in my edges and tried to hold on but I was losing more ground so I set it down and pulled the QR. My kite was sitting 10' from the docks on shore! When I got back to my vehicle I set the wind meter up and let it record while I packed things away. The result was average 17 mph with gusts to 20 and minimum of 14. So in the hour and half that I was there the winds kicked up considerably and got a bit out of the range I can control a Turbine in. Overall it was a good set.

The CamRig worked great. I got some impressive shots although it is not all that steady. And depending on which direction one is going the image can be upside down. Once one cuts the other way in the wind the camera switches around and the image is right side up. I just played if for my kids and wife and let's just say they were impressed. They find it hard to believe that old geezer dad can learn a new trick or two.