Frozen pump

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Mike G.

Frozen pump

Post by Mike G. »

Last weekend my pump froze to the point I couldn't completely inflate the kite.. any suggestions on what lube to use ?
magicninja

Re: Frozen pump

Post by magicninja »

I use graphite powder. It doesn't gum up with sand in summer or freeze in the winter. You do have to apply it more often than regular lubricant, but a small tube goes a long way. I got mine at Hub Hobby, in the pine car derby area. Don't use WD40 or Liquid Wrench. It ate the rubber seals inside my old pump. Hope this helps. G
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

I use pure silicone spray on the shaft and inside the cylinder and o rings every other time i use it. Clean it regularly, keep it indoors and ALWAYS pull up on the handle
a little before putting it away ( so the o rings won't take an upward set) Pumps are touchy, If you take care of them, they'll take care of you. Here is a general rule of thumb, A large pump (like the Jenna J, I love that name) should inflate a 12 m kite in 30-35 shots, give or take, if it's working right.

Kiteboy
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/
Mike G.

Post by Mike G. »

Thanks guys; I have some silicone spray so I'll give that a try for now.
n-mod

Post by n-mod »

I used to use silicone spray, but I found it gets dirty quickly. Now I use air tool oil (the stuff used to lube air nail guns) and it performs much better. But I don't know how it holds up in the cold. I haven't had it freeze on me yet.
kiteboymn

Post by kiteboymn »

Tool oil is the exact same thing 30 weight motor oil. Kinda greasy. Silicone, dry, do the math.
Live Hard!
Lakawa Shop Rider
http://mnkiteboy.com/