Golf Bag

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

hondamon

Golf Bag

Post by hondamon »

Anyone have any suggestions on a bag they have used while traveling by plane? My board is 145x44. Does anyone know about the NSI Golf Deceiver Pro or the 2013 Mystic Golf Bag Pro? Thanks in advance!
Damon
jerlane

Re: Golf Bag

Post by jerlane »

I haven't traveled with a golf type bag, but have traveled with my gear in a wheeled bag made by North. I put the kite in a vacuum type space saver bag so it is quite small. I really try to pack it down as small as I can and even put an extra strap around the bag to compress it down. I am then very clear that I am traveling with "water ski" equipment, ie. a wake board. I had one person try to charge me, but I pointed out that there is no additional charge for "water ski" equipment. I have never been questioned on that and I think it would be hard to argue the wake board claim unless they pulled your kite out. Obviously this is YMMV. I think I've flown with Delta and United.
MK

Post by MK »

bscheig

Post by bscheig »

I've had 2 "golf" bags. I think that the first was a Mystic and it worked well until the airlines got tough on weight. The bag itself was fairly heavy. I now have a CrazyFly Golf Bag with wheels. This bag comes in 2 sizes, 140 and 155. It also comes in a lighter, wheelless bag at 140 cm. I can put a 151 cm board in my 155 cm bag. Jeff Howard from Kiteboarding.com likes the CrazyFly bags and has a video about them on the web site. I can get a board, 2 kites, bars and other assorted gear as well as 2 golf clubs in my bag and stay under 50#. I also pack my kites in compression bags.
hondamon

Post by hondamon »

Thanks for the replies.

Jerlane, so waterski equipment is something thats generally stated as being allowed?

I actually had the CF 140cm bag but sold it. Its a great bag but its just too big. Ive had to argue my way out of paying airline fees (international) on more than one occasion. The straps cinch it quite flat but i think because of its width that was the problem. Quality is oustanding. Its just a little big for what I need.

Mike what is the brand on that bag? Id like to check it out in more detail. Do you have it in stock? Thanks.
mdh01

Post by mdh01 »

I too use a golf bag. But I use an actual golf bag, a soft sided bag made for traveling with golf clubs! I can fit my 140x42 board, two kites, bars, pump, wet suit, harness, and I include a single golf club (a driver) for added effect. It all fits in the wheeled golf bag and I keep it under 50lbs. Never been questioned by the airline, and I've traveled with it a lot. I think it helps if you dress like a golfer too and not a surfer. :wink:

I have a Mystic kite bag too, but I find the golf bag sturdier and just as capable, for less money.

Mark
hondamon

Post by hondamon »

Hey Mark, that is a good idea. I'll keep that option open as well. Thanks.
speedsailor93

Post by speedsailor93 »

I use an NSI deciever and have fitted the following big boards in it at different times:
- Crazyfly 144x44
- Make 150 wide (tight on length but the curved tips allow it to fit in)
- Slingshot 146x44
Also use compression bags to easily get the kites in. Two boards & 3 kites normally under 50lbs and I take my bars & pump in a regular bag.

Not had too much hassle with it but once had to make a nice tip to get curbside baggage to not charge me the $75.