Wind Forecaster

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

hondamon

Wind Forecaster

Post by hondamon »

Hey folks,
I'm hoping someone can help me out. A long time ago I was on a great wind forecasting site, but I've since wiped my computer and hadn't synced the bookmark so it's gone. The site was map style and had arrows for current wind direction and speed at various wind locations. You could click on the location to get detailed wind forecast for that site. It was pretty slick I thought. Ive looked around a bit but nothing looks familiar so far. Does anyone think they might know which site I'm talking about? If not, what do you use that has proven accurate and easy to use? Cheers!
magicninja

Re: Wind Forecaster

Post by magicninja »

I think your referring to windmapper.com. On the main lakawa page there is a link in the wind section left hand side. I like sailflow's wind app for mobile phones but it does usually read a little higher
than actual wind speeds for our area. Sailflow also has a website. George
hondamon

Post by hondamon »

Thanis, George. I went to windmapper but it didn't look the same, but maybe thats it. Thanks for the mobile info as well!
JRN

Post by JRN »

GO OLD SCHOOL:Use noaa/nws & click on everything until you see it. On Ikite, try the different charts, I like meteograms, and computercasts
which show all the charts side by side for a given region. Lately, seems like Ikite has been more accurate. Good Luck
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
hondamon

Post by hondamon »

Thanks much! Does wind generally pick up at all at the end of July or August?
Tighe

Post by Tighe »

I use Windalert.com a lot lately. It's the base for iwindsurf, ikitesurf, sailflow and others. THIS YEAR it seems to be pretty accurate with its forecasts. Seems like every year each of these groups change their algorithms that drive their modeling and they become more or less accurate. As I mentioned this year, windalert seems pretty good.

They have a lot of good info on their individual site pages, that has monthly averages. If you scan the local lakes you'll see the summer months June, July, August, are typically the lowest averages. July has some higher wind days but those typically are due to storms.

Best advice is to keep a wind clause in all summer commitments. The sessions can be few and far between.

ride on.
Tighe
JRN

Post by JRN »

The "Dog days of summer" usually finds this area in the Summer doldrums. Last year we escaped to the Gorge. Funny, the place was loaded with MNsotans, and former MNsotans who finally wised up & moved there. That's why MikeK sells SUP's!
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
hondamon

Post by hondamon »

Haha...well that stinks about the wind back home during that time. What is the Gorge?