Strutless

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

Barry P

Strutless

Post by Barry P »

fabrino

Re: Strutless

Post by fabrino »

yes it is interesting.. and the price is also not too bad (around 1000$ new)..
I am thinking seriously about the 17 as my LW option..
but I was waiting for a bit more feedback from early adopters..(the little feedback I saw on the web seems good though)

did you see anyone in MN riding one?
airush also has a strutless model (much more expensive) and naish has one (only in the 10m though)

ciao
MK

Post by MK »

Latest edition of The Kiteboarder Magazine has a review of them, some produced for this years line-up:
Airush Zero 18M - targeting Ultra Lightwind
Naish Trip 10M - targeting all round use for intermidiate to advanced riders; traveling
Cloud Kites 5/6/8/10/13/17M - Former Naish board designer created full quiver (invested big for all of us to find out!)
Liquid Force - In R&D mode for 2014 (not on the bleeding edge :lol: )
North - likes the concept but not investing in it for their line-up

Article paraphrased:
Lower cost from less parts. Lower weight. Has trade-offs like limited wind ranges for best function. Trailing edge luffs. Re-launching can prove to be difficult if wind conditions aren't right.

Looks like a lot of fun. I can see it having tremendous value in the right wind ranges. Experienced kiters will have more fun with it. Doesn't look like a good beginner kite with difficulty relaunching and limited wind ranges. However, may open the market up to those of us who enjoy the purity of simply cruising on a puff of wind.

Here's a quick reivew found in a simple search of Naish's kite: http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2013/04/t ... less-kite/
Diego

Post by Diego »

I have the 13M cloud. Had the chance to use it on the snow a couple of times and ~10 times in the water.
So far I like it and I'm happy with it. Haven't had the chance to really try the low end but I can see the potential. Compared to my previous kite on that range (13.5 Kahonna v2) the cloud has a better low end, moves way faster through the window, drifts better than any other kite I've tried, super easy upwind ability and relaunch is the same. As for the upper end, I think it is ~22mph for me (175lbs) on the 13M, last Sunday on Waconia it was 22-25 gusting 28-30 and I felt I shuld've been on my 10 rpm for sure, Jim was on his 12 vegas, doing just fine though. Love the jumping ability of hte kite, although I'm still getting use to it. As far as relaunch, super easy with LE down, trickier with TE down but once you know the technique it is pretty easy as well. the testimonials page on the website are pretty close to what I've experienced. The Clouds come without bar, I've been using a SS bar but any 4 line (equal lenght lines) will work.
Can only imagine the power of the 17M. I'm hopping the 13M + a good LW board will be enough for those sub 15mph days (main reason why I got the Cloud).
The Cloud is a different kite for sure, it might not be for everyone, of course, but I like it.
MK

Post by MK »

I think you have a cool board design you are working on Diego. If you see the benefit of demo'ing the Lightwave Wing 153 on a light wind day to try and define the low wind range, let me know and I'll coordinate with you.
Diego

Post by Diego »

Thank you Mike, I'll take you up on that. Always fun to try different gear, especially back to back. I've tried my board a couple of times but not on a good light wind day yet.
JRN

Post by JRN »

GOT OUT YESTERDAY! I was on my Taboo 17. It was between almost flat water & verging on "walleye chop." I had to wait for a gust to self launch. but was able to keep it aloft after that. I only went alone due to an audience of sunbathers, besides windfix wants and having the cloud (not where we store data) and the recent 17 posts on my mind. Got going just fine wthout a Door or a Wing, but my beat up UG 148 did the trick. In retrospect, I should have called MK for a 17 face-off, but was having too much fun. I did manage to boost once to the delight of my onlookers. :twisted: Turned out they were just metriculated H.S. grads, and my offer of free lessons have only resulted in yet another restraining order. :oops:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
fabrino

Post by fabrino »

Diego thks for the review of the cloud, very useful!