How do you handle the mother ( superior ) on a BIG day ??

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

surfalex

How do you handle the mother ( superior ) on a BIG day ??

Post by surfalex »

If you never windsurfed on Lake Superior, check out some off the footage from Monday.
https://vimeo.com/66767260

I most say that this is probably the most challenging conditions I ever sailed in. Wind was blowing from the NNE meaning pretty much straight onshore when launching from point park. Just about impossible to get out past the very tightly space huge breakers. IS there a better place to launch from ? Maybe further SE were the lake turns towards NE would give you more of a side shore wind ? I can see a easterly or SE wind from park point would give you more of a side shore wind but smaller waves. WE had a rough session but I can see the potential.

What is a good set up/ conditions/ spots , plz any superior experts post....
Kevinousdigian

Re: How do you handle the mother ( superior ) on a BIG day ?

Post by Kevinousdigian »

Thanks for the video and post! Mike W, Geo, Barry, and I kited there and we agree those waves were the fastest moving, most closely spaced, and punishing waves I've seen Mother deliver in about 15 trips.

The temps were supposed to be 45ish but when we hit the water around noon it was 39 degrees with 28 degree windchill. That created a major fogging of my prescription sea specs despite anti-fog stuff on them. I kept having to dunk in the water so I could just see for the next 30 seconds.

I had a blast jumping with the 7m conditions. We just don't get that strong, steady, wind that floats you on 7m very often so that was fun.
But the real reason we go to superior is to ride her waves which I agree proved to be difficult on the outside. We barely got out beyond all the breaking stuff but they were just moving so fast, so close together and often curling over without notice. Never seen it like that. I think everyone ended up just being content playing closer to shore.

I was going to do a similar post and ask what provides the optimal waves? What winds, direction, and how long?
I thought others have said 40-60 is optimal direction and it was 40-50 at sky harbor.
In the past it seems like it's usually good to hit it after it's been blowing a 1/2 to whole day. I've been there when it's been blowing 40+ before and still been able to ride the waves fine but those were the first day it blew that hard (ie it kept coming up while kiting). In this case I wonder if it was blowing so hard way out in the lake for a day that it caused the fierce, fast, and mushy waves?

Randy J? Stroh? Brian and others - please share your wisdom.
Kevin Ousdigian
JRN

Post by JRN »

You can also try WI Pt.over in Superior. Head towards Bayfield, but take a left on "Mocassin Mike Road" on the E.side of town & follow it to the water. This will get you up into side-shore waves when it is onshore at Prk.Pt. DO NOT go alone. Jeff got most of his entire quiver ripped off & only had the stuff he was riding when he got back.
Stealing from our Heroic Volunteer Firemen is low, speaking as an honorary member of the Park Point Volunteers. BTW: I am trying to recruit for the Ladies Auxillary. KiteBabes & KiteChix are welcome, and besides, Jeff & Co. are tired of my Microwave Brownies. :oops:
WARNING:
I AM AN UNREFORMED SERIAL FLIRT!!
(please respond accordingly ;^{})
Randy

Post by Randy »

Great vid. Really enjoyed since I couldn't make it up for this one. Just two cents from my experience. Whenever I've had a port side advantage for getting out, Sky Harbor's been reporting 040-050. When it starts getting to 070-090, it's really onshore and challenging. That said, when it's big you're continuously jumping whitewater and there's no room for mistake. You go down, you're probably not getting back up until you're pushed to shore. Chip probably knows more about this than anyone, and he loves the monster days, but suggests playing the inside. Sometimes, I've found myself on the outside through no choice of my own. And yes, the breaks are unpredictable, the waves are moving super fast, and still, when you go down you've got to hustle your ass to get back up before getting pummeled to exhaustion. I did write about one experience on a super big day where I was hooked in riding a face as fast as I could to escape and I couldn't outrun it. My harness bar was snapped and my harness was ripped apart, definitely a big reminder that we don't handle Mother, Mother handles us. I agree, super fast moving waves, unpredictable breaks and steep troughs make for some of the most challenging riding conditions I've encountered.
Ride...just be it!
www.just-be-it.com
Kevinousdigian

Post by Kevinousdigian »

What is the common denominator that triggers these unfriendly waves. Blowing real hard for over a day, especially way out in the lake?

Kevin
Kevin Ousdigian
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

Here's a picture from Wednesday (5/22), 3rd day of the same storm. I think this picture was from Stoney Point. The shoreline is not as "friendly" for breakdowns as at Park Point, but the surfers say break characteristics are often less jumbled and more left to right (or the other way?) than at Duluth. Has anyone kited or windsurfed there?

ollie

Post by ollie »

hey Guys

Didn't get out on the Mother yet this year but have some thoughts on difficult waves.
It could be a change in the slope of the beach and bottom because of the late ice buildup
or less wind & shifty wind out on the lake compared to on shore wind. I do know the sand moves around
a lot over the summer and during storms so that would be a real possibility.
good to hear somebody is getting out though!

Bryan Z
Geo

Post by Geo »

I think part of enjoying the mother is taking what she gives you. Last week they were moving fast and waves were on top of each other sometimes... Then there were spots where you'd have a football field of super flat water. I rode strapless all day, and contrary to popular wisdom would recommend it in those conditions, since you can pop over the waves when needed and have more latitude switching your feet quickly in transitions.
You do have to outrun the hug whitewater, but you have to do that anyway. Even strapless, the surfboard can float on top of medium froth if you just bank it a little.

I had kite-inflation issues which kept giving me control problems, and only fully discovered it after coming in. When it was tight, though, I was thinking that you need to fully commit to the turn, and then ride whatever is open and not worry if you are going "downwind", and eventually things open up.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Great shot! Where is the album located to see more pictures?
Barry P

Post by Barry P »

There's a SUP shop called "MN Surf" in Brainerd. I got the picture from their Facebook pictures cache. The owner goes up to Superior to surf. Here's another sweet picture. The waves on Superior can be pretty awesome.

Here's another nice stash of Superior wave play from Superior Surf Club http://www.superiorsurfclub.com/gallery.html
Chip

Post by Chip »

Sorry I didn’t see this thread earlier –
Here’s my 2 cents on launch sites:

Classic “northeasters” in Duluth stay pretty much between 40 and 60 degrees. The forecast may be between 20 and even 120 degrees and it may be blowing that up on the hill but the wind on the water will stay in that 40 to 60 degree window. I believe this is because of the topography of the shore with its high hills and tapered funnel effect. You will frequently see winds at Park Point 10 knots above forecast as a result. Or you will see a small-craft advisor put up at the last minute.

Park Point –

Launching between the Tot Lot and the Fire Hall on Park Point are the easiest. The further down the point you go, the more difficult it is to launch because it get ever so slightly deeper close to shore. As a result, you get pummeled by the shore break while near the bridge you can generally walk out of it.

North Shore –

Because of the function of the wind engine described above, friction tends to make the wind within three quarters of a mile of shore fluky and lighter than out further on the lake. If you’re prepared for it, this fine – but keep in mind how far down wind it is to a rescue point should you get in trouble. If sail in dangerous waters you always need to think about your self-rescue plan.

Waves –

As for the waves, I unfortunately didn’t get out that day but there are some common issues to be aware of: You need to look up the lake for wind conditions to gauge how much “fetch” the wave have had. Sometimes the “waves are bigger than the wind” other times they are smaller. Depends largely on fetch. If it happens to be sunny, you also have to watch for lift over the point. As a windsurfer, there are many times I can’t break through the surf but because of lack of wind only to find I’m overpowered on the outside. This is usually lift from the relatively warm park point. I’d like to know what the kiters have experienced with lift too.