Mille Lacs this weekend?

Stay connected in the wind. This forum is for anyone who rides the wind, winter or summer, on whatever board suits their fancy. Share the stoke, find out where people are going, ask any question, share your discoveries, and discuss any esoteric idea you may have related to the pursuit of wind. Please keep it positive.

Moderator: MK

slopecat

Mille Lacs this weekend?

Post by slopecat »

While some folks are looking for water sessions in town, is anyone thinking of trying to get a last snow/ice session in at Mille Lacs? I would like to get in another but I'm not liking the idea of heading up there and riding solo. It looks like there should be enough wind to ride on Saturday or Sunday. Is there still plenty of ice and easy walking out from shore? Anyone thinking like I am?

Mike
Cory M

Re: Mille Lacs this weekend?

Post by Cory M »

I'd probably be interested in giving it a go. Some of us were up last weekend. The edges were getting pretty slushy but I think it may be possible to get out to agua firma with the right location and or ladder/boards. We ran into an issue of sticky snow around noon but I am thinking the surface will be more watery and less friction. Could be totally wrong.

Seems Sunday may be the tighter isobars but Saturday the better weather. Could bring a couple iSUPs to float the rum river as alternate. :lol:
Mike B

Post by Mike B »

Will be on the East or North side of Mille Lacs by 11:00am Saturday. Bring the sun block. 8) Will be looking for the best launch spot starting at the public access just South of 18, if not good, proceeding to the best place on the way to Ready Creek.

Will try to post the final location. Or, call: 6five1 3four3 two4six9

Should be big fun!
Midwest Mountaineering/Ozone Team Rider
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

I'm in.

If anyone wants to carpool part way let me know. I'm driving up through rogers and elk river.
Last edited by Cory M on Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

Cory M wrote:I'm in.

If anyone wants to carpool part way let me know. I'm driving up through rogers and elk river.

952 250 5582
I am interested in a carpool but I think we are pretty far apart. I would be heading up 35E/35.
slopecat

Post by slopecat »

I'm not going to make it today.
jrjohnson1

Post by jrjohnson1 »

Well....how was it?
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

Beautiful day, nice hanging out with the occasional boomerang toss. Seemed to be an odd phenomenon where the lake pretty much sucked the wind as there appeared to be wind elsewhere. We waited a good bit and then did some searching but ended up going our own ways. I did some xc and decided to static fly at malmo. Low and behold the wind filled in nicely from 630 to 830. Fast corn with the great conditions past what is left of the pressure ridge. Wind seemed to be stronger up higher as Mike had suggested it might be.
Attachments
IMG_20130427_201022_550 - Copy.jpg
IMG_20130427_201022_550 - Copy.jpg (65.74 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
Al C

Post by Al C »

Hey Cory, I continued on to Brainerd and found that the Mille Lacs "micro climate" was indeed affecting the wind, big flags flying at full staff there. Mike B joined and we scored a super nice Saturday session on Gull Lake with Evan a local, who launched from Grandview Lodge. Wind was 15-20 50ft above the lake but nearly nonexistent on the ground, surface really nice like Mille. I feel bad about not connecting, Mike's phone died at Gull and I didn't have your number.

We stayed over and hit Gull again today but, winds today were really light, only a short period of underpowered cruising to be had.
Cory M

Post by Cory M »

No worries Al. Glad you guys got the goods too. Sometimes those elusive sole sessions are the best kind. Sounds like we had the same wind too. Some interesting mirages were seen on the horizon.